Oct 13, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
It was hard to totally blame Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray for acquiring Nikita Filatov this summer. Every now and then, a prized prospect struggles in a not-so-great environment but then breaks through thanks to a change of scenery and a golden opportunity.
Filatov’s young enough (21 years old) that the dream isn’t anywhere close to dead, but the reality of his flaws better start sinking in. The Senators announced that they sent him to their AHL affiliate in Binghamton, so he’ll have to stomach yet another setback in his floundering NHL career. Let’s face it, if you can’t stick with the Senators as a forward this season, then things aren’t going very well. (So much for him being a top-six winger, I guess.)
Sorry to Filatov apologists, but he can’t blame Ken Hitchcock anymore.
In far less grim demotion-related news, two first rounders from the 2011 NHL Entry Draft were sent back to the juniors today. Both players are OHL-bound, as the New York Islanders sent Ryan Strome (fifth overall) to the Niagra IceDogs (great name) while the Carolina Hurricanes moved Ryan Murphy (12th overall) to the Kitchener Rangers.
Expect more demotions in the next week or so, as NHL teams will have to face the decision to keep players up (thus burning a bargain year from an entry-level contract) or sending them down (therefore preserving that cheap year for next season).
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 18
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)