No subject is taboo for Flyers fans’ boos

Oct 13, 2011, 12:46 AM EST

Buffalo Sabres v Philadelphia Flyers - Game Five Getty Images

The Philadelphia Flyers are off to a gorgeous start, but their home opener wasn’t all pretty. According to Puck Daddy and various sources, Flyers fans added to the city’s folklore for over-the-line partisanship on Wednesday by booing members of rival teams … who were part of a “Hockey Fights Cancer” campaign. Yikes.

Just as the sports world was getting around to feeling sorry for Philly fans after the Eagles and Phillies produced large quantities of misery, they slap away that sympathy with an ill-timed round of jeers. (That being said, we’d advise you to react in the same way people should to Sean Avery‘s antics: by shaking your head and rolling your eyes. It’s mostly harmless stupidity, except when they start pummeling someone for wearing a Sidney Crosby jersey.)

It’s not fair to say that all Flyers/Philadelphia sports fans have such a cruel streak, but like Vancouver residents after Game 7 Defeat Riots Part II, it’s likely that the bad apples will spoil the bunch. Feel free to add more examples in the comments – Philly fans have quite the resume – but here’s some of the most obvious low points in Philadelphia fandom. (This story provided backup and also gives some other cringe-worthy moments.)

• Cheering when Michael Irvin suffered a career-ending injury. Yes, the Dallas Cowboys are hated rivals, but that is literally the opposite of how most fan bases react to such situations. (Philly fans have reversed this trend, for the most part, recently.)
  • Bombarding a guy dressed up as Santa with snowballs just seems like bad form, doesn’t it?
  • As you’ve heard, Philly fans have been accused at throwing batteries on occasion, which is significantly worse (except when those snowballs are actually just frozen bricks/rocks/etc.)
  • Going the hockey route, Flyers fans booed Sarah Palin and one fan ended up getting into an unforgettable penalty box tussle with Tie Domi.

Again, surely there are plenty – likely millions – of Philadelphia sports fans who are civilized and knowledgeable. Still, moments like these make you wonder if a huge portion of the city’s sports fans are actually trying to live up to their bad reputation.

1. udtinman - Oct 13, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Really!! I can not believe it took less than two weeks for someone, some where to come up with another lame ass excuse to trash Philly fans. Can’t you find something better to do.

Let’s start with the ‘reporting’ that fans were booing opponents at the game tonight. I was there tonight. I saw the recorded messages about cancer awareness. I can’t guarantee that nobody booed players from other teams, but it was very isolated if it happened. And you can’t tell me that it hasn’t happened at least a little bit in other arenas.

Then you had to go ahead and bring up the ‘famous’ Santa moment lazy people like you like to bring up. now I know what everybody says, but there are two sides to the story. Do a little homework and you find out it was a bit more complicated.

No one, and I mean no one who booed Michael Irvin had any idea how hurt he was. I am not saying that it was rude/wrong to boo an injury, but it happens all over the place. I was in DC for a Nationals/Phillies game and the Nationals fans were cheering when Ross Gload came up limping on his way to second base. I didn’t see a single story, national or local, about that.

As for the rest of the incidents you speak of, I can’t deny they happened. But, Condemning a whole fan base for these isolated incidents seems excessive. No one damns the San Francisco fans because of the hit and run of a Philly’s fan in San Fran earlies this season. Everyone condemned the beating of the San Francisco Giants fan, Bryan Stow, but no one was crucifying the entire LA Dodgers fan base. What about the Cleveland Browns fan who tackled the eight year old Jets fans after a game in Cleveland. I don’t recall hearing anything about how evil Browns fans are after that.

Now I could probably scrounge up a bunch of minor incidents involving LA Dodgers fans add the Bryan Stow incident to the mix and write and convincing article arguing that LA fans are really, really bad. And then a couple years from now some idiot fan in LA is going start throwing things at… Then some lazy reporter does a google search for similar antics. They find my completely biased article and write another biased article expounding on the evils of the LA fan base. One article turns into two turns into three and suddenly every lazy tv reporter, amateur blogger, or ignorant writer pronounces sentence on LA or Cleveland or San Francisco or Philly.

Next time write an article on something that actually matters.

• James O'Brien - Oct 13, 2011 at 2:35 AM

I thought I was reasonably fair to Flyers fans, but perhaps not. Great comment either way, though.

• udtinman - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:58 AM

The unfair thing is that people(not just you) feel the need to repeatedly bring it up. It takes beating a dead horse to a whole new level. I’d like to say, “just let it go”, but then I could be accused of Not doing that very thing by just ignoring articles like this.
        It is just frustrating to see these articles pop up half a dozen times a year and then reading one paragraph blurbs about the misbehavior of other fans dismissed as if they were insignificant compared to the atrocities that Philly fans perpetrate just as infrequently as every other fan base.

In other words, Philly fans are no better or worse when it comes to having bad apples in there ranks. I just wish people in the media would pull the blinders off and recognize that we aren’t any different from any other fans(in this respect).

• sjhaack - Oct 13, 2011 at 8:28 AM

My concern is that when articles like this get written, even if the topic is given consideration, it feels exceptionally lazy. “Man, what will Philadelphia boo next?!” The headline doesn’t at all suggest or explain that every incident was a very, very small group of bad apples and the events are not related to each other at all. Sure there are crossovers in fan bases, but suggesting that an event that happened at an Eagles game when the Flyers were in their SECOND year of existence has any significance on this besides casual causality is borderline intellectually dishonest. That’s three generation of sports fans ago. But every time one of these articles get written, the incidents become more linked until in people’s minds the fans came to the game prepared to snowball drunk Santa, and people heard about the commercials in advance and crowdsourced the info out so everyone was ready to boo at the top of their lungs.

I’ll apologize for being blunt, I’m lashing out against every sports journalist that takes the easy way out when they write about Philly. Are Flyers fans jerks with unreasonable expectations of their chosen hockey team? Absolutely. Just like every other hockey fan.

• macintoshw - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:31 AM

You forgot the time the Phillies fan puked on the daughter of the cop.

• puttingtheeyeinbreyer - Oct 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Thank you, udtinman, for your comment. I usually don’t read the “Philly fans are the worst fans in the world” articles but I’m glad I skimmed this one and got to your comment.

Whenever somebody brings that shit up to me, I send them the youtube link that shows Philly fans standing and applauding Donovan McNabb during his first introduction at the Linc as a Redskin:

Please.

2. trbowman - Oct 13, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Because Philly fans are by far the most obnoxious of any of the ones I’ve encountered – not the snowball-throwing at Santa kind, but more the “Hey Joe Jurevicius, your son just died and we’re still pissed you lit us up in last year’s NFC Championship game, so we’re going to taunt you by repeatedly asking ‘hey, Joe, where’s your son?’ to get under your skin” kind.

• evilresident1 - Oct 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Judging by the number of thumbs-down to your absolutely accurate and truthful post — there sure are a whole lot of mad Philly Sports fans on this thread.

This makes me feel warm n’ fuzzy inside.

3. paul621 - Oct 13, 2011 at 5:58 AM

I have to agree with udtinman here; well said. I love PHT in general, so I’m a little surprised to see this.

I get so tired of defending myself and fellow fans–the assumptions that random people make about you because of the team you cheer for can be astonishing. And I’m not talking in general, I’m talking from specific experience. Please PHT, stick to what’s happening on the ice and leave the fans out of it.

4. kingbiscut - Oct 13, 2011 at 6:50 AM

While the direction of the article is unfortunately true, the examples are not. I’ve seen many examples of events that make me disappointed in my fellow Philly fans. But, above are either distorted (Santa), misrepresented, or flat out untrue.

Being at the infamous Irvin game, I was stunned when I got home afterwards about cheering of Irvin being loaded in an ambulance. The crowd was almost all silent during this. The entire stadium booed when Deion Sanders got a microphone and implored the stadium to pray with him. And, the entire stadium cheered when the sideline crew took the microphone from him at midflield. Was that ever reported?

I was also at a Giants game in the Meadowlands where one Giants fan held down an Eagles fan as another Giants fan jumped and broke his leg. Or, when a beer bottle was smashed over the head of a 7 year old boy at that same game. Or, when a Yankees fan threw a battery at Paul Byrd in the Bronx over 10 years ago.

Alcohol and sports seem to bring out the worst in all of us at the worst times. It is not just a Philly thing.

5. nocryinginbaseball07 - Oct 13, 2011 at 8:13 AM

kingbiscut, you nailed it. Alcohol and large groups of passionate people, half of whom are watching their team lose, do not always mix well. And alcohol is a mainstay in every park, stadium and arena in the land, not just in Philly.

And, can’t we just put the Santa thing to rest, already? It happened before most current Philly fan were born!

6. gianthatr - Oct 13, 2011 at 8:44 AM

It happens because there is a repeated pattern. Do you hear about Dodgers fans doing that every year? Do you hear all the events you listed happening everywhere? No. We only hear them happening in Philly because there is a pattern of repeat incidents. When you play in the NHL and have a reputation as a cheap shot artist don’t the refs constantly watch you, just waiting for you to F up? Yes of course they do because there is a pattern. It’s the same thing in your home games and the fans.

The whole media is waiting for you guys to repeat the pattern and guess what? Philly fans oblige. And you can’t just say a small amount of fans were doing this. Whats a small amount? 5 or 10? I doubt 5 or 10 people were being reported. It had to be loud enough for the reporter to hear it in the press box. No the Santa thing won’t die because it shows that there is a pattern of people in Philly doing this crap. Like in court where you have to prove a person has a pattern of continuing to do the same thing. Your asking why it’s not reported of the fans being silent when Irvin was loaded into the ambulance? Because it’s what you’re supposed to do. They don’t report Philly fans behaving…they report them acting like donkeys.

The author of the article linked, Greg W., sums it up nicely about Philly fans…

“We’d be disappointed in any fan base that didn’t exhibit this Pavlovian response to seeing a rival on their big screen.”

They expect you guys to attack 1st without waiting to see what is happening on the screen. They expect you guys to be dogs in Philly. Go Go Flyer fans.

• kellyb9 - Oct 13, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Actually Dodgers fans are starting a repeated pattern of assault at their stadium. I believe it’s happened the past two years. But we booed a player… so good point….

• udtinman - Oct 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Incidents separated by DECADES do not constitute a pattern. Give me a break. Your buying into the stereotype. Every fan base has bad apples! This article(not to mention NO article I have ever read) talks about the TWO standing ovations given to the military personnel at the game. I am a season ticket holder. I go to at least 30 home games a year. The standing ovations given to the military personnel happens at every game when the Flyers recognize the contributions of someone. That’s a pattern of behavior!!! Every game I have ever gone to there are at least two moments like that. Unrelated incidents that happen years apart at events for various sports teams are NOT a pattern of behavior. They are unrelated incidents that happen years apart at events for various sports teams in various cities.

You want to talk about the dangerous pattern of violent actions that take place all over the country at sports events with more and more frequency by all means talk about it. But, for the love of all that is Just and Holy, stop suggesting that it’s Philly fans that are the biggest problem. The problem is everywhere.

I am going to stereotype to make a point here. We aren’t the ones who tackled an eight year old fan. We aren’t the ones that hit a young baseball fan with our car and then drove off. And We aren’t the fans that beat up a fan of a rival to the point that he was in a coma.

• spiffy53 - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:00 PM

gianthatr, kidding right? with a sign-on like that? dodgers, lets see. hmmm what happened there where a GIANTS fan almost got killed and spend 6 months in a coma? how are those gang wars going in the right field section of the stadium. you truely are clueless.

• jthompson77 - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:59 PM

gianthatr, if you haven’t been to a Flyers game in the Wells Fargo Center let me fill you in on something…during intermission that building is basically quiet since most are out on the concourse, so the chances of a group of 10 people being heard in the press box is more than likely…especially if they’re located in the sections DIRECTLY BELOW IT. Regardless of the commercial being about cancer or starving kids in Africa, I would expect Flyers fans to boo Crosby (or as we lovingly refer to him, Cry-sby), or any other rival player…that’s how we roll. We didn’t get the monacher “Most Intimidating Fans in Hockey” for no reason.

With that being said, Flyers fans should not be judged by the actions of a minuscule group. In a city of millions (which doesn’t include the Jersey fans such as myself), I would think they’re would be better things to be in an uproar about. Yesterday, my son asked me “Why are all the articles I do my current events on have to be sad and depressing?” to which I responded, “Because, that’s what news is…sad, depressing, and full of people doing stupid things.” The fact that the actions of those fans during last night’s game is making headline news in the sports world deeply saddens me.

7. dbick - Oct 13, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Did you really add that we booed sarah palin to this list of “offenses”? I think it’s a bigger offense NOT to boo that idiot.

• udtinman - Oct 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Not to mention Tie Domi. Tie Domi was the punk hockey that player that everyone, EVERYONE could not stand! He was the poster boy for cowardly ‘enforcer’ actions. I’m not saying it is right, but Ghandi probably would have been going after Domi if he were at that game. ;)

• balewsquare - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM

That moment is what made me start liking Philly fans more!

8. babar61 - Oct 13, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Good lord, Philadelphia sports fans are so sensitive…

• gianthatr - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:42 AM

It’s either fight everyone or cry about people bringing up the past. That’s how they are.

• trigzter - Oct 13, 2011 at 11:42 AM

your a loser

9. jonbeaston - Oct 13, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Ok, first of all, as a Philly resident for 3 1/2 years, I have to say, I absolutely hate the Eagles and the Phillies because of their fans. They are the absolute definition of bandwagon, only supporting the team(s) when they are successful, and completely bashing them when they aren’t. However, I am a diehard flyers fan. For some reason or another, Flyers fans are not like Eagles and Phillies fans. Not that they aren’t the same people, but for whatever reason, there is a different attitutde. The topic of this article is an unfortunate circumstance, but a rare one for Flyers fans.

Have you ever been to a game in Canada? It’s so much worse there than any hockey game I’ve been to in the states.

• spiffy53 - Oct 13, 2011 at 11:56 AM

jonbeaston, that is absolute crap. there is a difference between a bandwagon fan and a passionate fan. a bandwagon fan shows up when the team is good and stays away doing other things when the team is bad (too many cities to mention). last i checked, philadelphia has 1 championship in the last 30 years, but no television blackouts. sell-outs all of the time. i think you need to redefine the definition of bandwagon fan, because you have absolutely no idea.

• jonbeaston - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Oh yeah, i forgot how many times Citizens Bank sold out before 2008 when the Phillies made the World Series…..not often. Oh, and how many bars were packed for Phillies games every night during the regular season….oh, none. It’s amazing what one post-season run will do to create new fans who start out just riding the wave along with the diehard fans. the reason they don’t have blackouts, etc is because Philadelphia is a huge market. I think you actually helped my argument with your definition of a bandwagon fan. I’m not saying this doesn’t happen in other cities, but it sure as hell happens in Philly. I’m from Philly, but there is a reason I only like the Flyers, and I hate the Eagles and Phillies. I could care less about the NBA for you 76ers fans.

But anyway, this article is about the Flyers, the Philly team with a legit fan base. From the outside looking in, it does look bad that fans booed the ad. The only excuse I can think of is that they didn’t realize it was a cancer ad right away, and were just booing at the opposing players in the ad. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone was blowing this out of proportion, but I must reiterate, I was not there, so I am only speculating.

• spiffy53 - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

if you are truely from philly (even though you said you were a resident for 3 and half years), you would know it’s a football town first. baseball is a hard sell, but their attendence was pretty good prior to actually caring and putting money into the team and winning the world series. the ballpark helped. and the eagles attendence is one of the highest in the league. and has been ( i like how you left that one out). so bandwagon does not apply. period.

• jonbeaston - Oct 13, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I am from Lancaster, PA, but I lived in Philly for 3 1/2 years cause I went to Temple. So I’ve been around the Philly culture my whole life.

So with what you said, u are saying that Phillies fans are bandwagon but Eagles fans aren’t? I mean, I could kinda agree with you on that. I know more about the Phillies fans’ transformation because I was in the city when it happened.

I will say this about Eagles fans. I sat in the endzone section for an Eagles/Giants Sunday night game. Most of the Eagles fans were realistic in their support, being your average NFL fan. However, there were those that were purposfully being obnoxious and oximoronic. They were wearing McNabb jerseys, but at the same time, booing him b/c he threw like 2 or 3 interceptions, and yelling that he should be “thrown out of the city” among many other obscenities. You cannot support and trash players at the same time.

Now, I realize these morons are just two of many, but those two still create a perception of the rest, and that, I believe, is why everyone thinks Eagles fans, or Philadelphia fans in general, are (insert insult here).

• nuttshack - Oct 13, 2011 at 1:00 PM

As a Phan of all four Philly teams, born and raised I have never heard a comment so ignorant. We bleed for our teams we care and want to win. We LIVE for our teams!!!! To say we are bandwagon is BS. You need to open your eyes a little more!!!

To be honest Philly Phans are probably the most honest/knowledgable Phans we know when our teams stink and we let the team know they stink! These aren’t 5 and 6 Y?O kids who need encouragement these are professional athletes. And when they don’t give it there best we let them have it.

• dbick - Oct 13, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I’ll give you that there are a TON of bandwagon Phillies fans. But there’s not a ton of bandwagon Eagles fans like you believe. That city lives and breathes Eagles.

• gmc173 - Oct 13, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Phillies fans are not bandwagon….their attendance has ranked in the top 1/2 of the NL since CBP opened with the exception of 2005. Of course a better team brings in more people how many baseball parks sell out with bad teams? Lowest is 2.6M and highest was 3.7M. Averaging as low as 32K fans a game is pretty good. Any other uneducated point you want to make?

• kellyb9 - Oct 13, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Personally, I’d rather have fans that show up when the team is good. The Rays practically have to give tickets away and they’ve been pretty good the past few years.

• ynotflyers - Oct 14, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Excuse me……3 1/2 years…really ….3 1/2 …..I have programs from games that are 10 + times older then your 3 1/2 year diehard fan relationship …..you not only have no clue…you have no right to consider your opinion valid….It’s nice that your a Flyer Fan….but leave it there and shut up !! Didn’t your Mother ever tell you about not saying anything …..not just if you don’t have anything good to say but also if you don’t know what your talking about !!

• ynotflyers - Oct 15, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Hey Jon, I want to go back and pull telling you to “shut up” and you are open to have your opinion…..I think (still) your wrong ….I’m tired of the articles and jumped on you for it…..We’re good Fans (MOST OF US) and I’m gonna leave it at that….

10. icelovinbrotha215 - Oct 13, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Ah. Yet another reason to rip us fans. It really is comical. It’s almost as if fans don’t exist outside of the 215. No one would have known that this occurred. This is such a non-event. But the media has always had it out for us Philadelphians. Enjoy. Can’t wait for the next ‘breaking story’ about how rude we are. All other fans in America are saints. I forgot.

• gianthatr - Oct 13, 2011 at 9:58 AM

No one said every other fan in the states is a saint. You jumped to that conclusion much like everyone jumps to the conclusion for Philly fans? See how that works icelovinbrotha? Very easily done.

and just stop with the “215”. We get it!!! Your a local guy. We get it. 215 sounds so…Philly.

• icelovinbrotha215 - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I’ll stop just for you buddy. Your welcome. Should I change my name too? I don’t want to offend you and ‘sound so…Philly.’

11. malkinrulez - Oct 13, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Shocked at the crying by a fan base that embraces their reputations as goons. Philly fans feel opposition fans have no right to attend games at Philly venues.other cities have similar problems ,but like it or not there is a portion of the fan base that loves it .

12. kellyb9 - Oct 13, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I do enjoy how everyone seems to have a photographic memory of every bad thing that happens in Philadelphia, but every sports city has a few black eyes. Hell, there’s a guy who was in intensive care in San Fran for the entire baseball season for wearing a Giants jersey in LA, and recently, I saw someone dress up a fake skelton in a Steve McNair jersey (I think it was in J-Ville or Carolina). I can go on, but the point is we threw snow at santa clause 4 decades ago and nobody seems to forget it.

• jonbeaston - Oct 13, 2011 at 9:57 AM

It was in Jacksonville. As a Panthers fan, I wouldn’t want ppl thinking it happened here. We have class here in Charlotte.

• kellyb9 - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:09 AM

That’s true. Sorry, I pulled up the article after I posted.

• icelovinbrotha215 - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM

My point exactly. Fans act up everywhere. Yet when it happens in Philly (the 215 for those easily offended), it becomes news. I’m not sure why there seems to be a target but it’s quite obvious. This is what happens when Santa Claus visits the Vet ha.

13. kandh2004 - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM

As a lifelong Philadelphian and fan of all teams no matter if they are losing or not I am sick of reading about when something happens at games you have to bring everything from the past back up. The Santa thing happened like 50 years ago let it go the battery thing happened at the Vet so that shows how long ago that was. The Michael Irving thing I was in grade school. As a die hard all Philly fan just report what happen not the past. I do not agree with them booing during anything about cancer my mom beat it and I lost my dad to the horrible disease but report about that don’t bring up the oldest shit you can find

14. kandh2004 - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:16 AM

It’s amazing that they just wait for something to happen so they can bring all the oldest shit back up. The people who threw the snowballs probably aren’t even alive anymore but thats the first thing that get brought back up and you know all the 215 fans(sorry had to sound all Philly there) are sick of reading this crap about us

15. kandh2004 - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I also think that this whole website need a certain amount of post and the easiest way to do that is to bait us 215 fans(damn did it again sorry). I read football talk, hardball talk and its the same thing rip Philly fan. Ohh its a slow day so let’s go after the fans who will show up in force and leave the most responses

• icelovinbrotha215 - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Stop with the 215 nonsense. You sound so…Philly.

• gianthatr - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Any other fanbase refer to themselves by their area code? Maybe you guys are just impressed you can remember where you live.

• icelovinbrotha215 - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM

If you want to base a whole fan base on a couple of posts you may want to reconsider you conclusion. You think it’s bizarre for people to refer to their city by the area code? C’mon dude. Wake up. It happens across the nation.

• sjhaack - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:17 PM

@gianthatr I guess you’ve never heard of Dallas “209” Braden.

• jonbeaston - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Maybe the only reason you see people ripping philly is because you only read articles that are about the iladelph’s teams?

16. lonespeed - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Philly fans across all sports are classless.

I went to an Eagles game a few years back. I was only attending to see an NFL game. I had no love for either team.

The fans were atrocious. Breaking beer bottles against the fence outside their brand new stadium when a trash sat right there. Lining up against the wall in the subway to urinate after the game instead of taking the time find a bathroom. Spraying beer on opposing fans. Harassing opposing fans. Booing and yelling f-bombs constantly for no reason other than to be negative.

I’m not thin skinned, but when 60,000 fans are collectively acting like that, it kinda leaves a bad impression. Even worse, Philly fans are actually proud of themselves, like it’s some badge of honor to be obnoxious, rude, and vile toward just about everything around them.

The city itself is not much better. Everyone comes across short spoken, unwilling to go out of their way to help anyone and generally depressed. The general impression you get in Philly is ‘We’re all miserable, so we’re going to do our best to make you feel miserable with us.’

• icelovinbrotha215 - Oct 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM

We are soo classless. Yet players want to come to Philly. Is it possible the fans have something to do with it? Nah. Just classless people. Btw, what you described sounds like any other football stadium that actually sells out. But you exercise your God-given right and watch the game from home. Just saying.

• jonbeaston - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Yeah, all the players want to come there, but they all live in Jersey!

• icelovinbrotha215 - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM

They live in Jersey because it’s easier to get the sports complex haha. You really want to us that excuse? Jersey is a suburb of Philly and NYC.

• jonbeaston - Oct 13, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Yeah, that was a joke man. I know how it works. Plus, not everyone lives in Jersey. Hamels lives in the penthouse of Liberty 1.

• icelovinbrotha215 - Oct 13, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Ha alrighty.

• trigzter - Oct 13, 2011 at 11:49 AM

breaking beer bottles? yeah thats only done in philly
      urinating somewhere when the lines are too long at porter potty’s? again…philly is the only place in the world where people do that.
      Harassing opposing fans? Just philly.

Now tell me my man. You left that Eagles game unharmed it seems. Yet your not a fan of the Eagles…so why weren’t you harassed, booed at and sprayed beer on?

• lonespeed - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Typical Philly responses. Can’t see the forest for the trees. Can’t take criticism. Assume any criticism is whining. Can’t even defend yourself without making yourself look like an ass.

I’ve been to games all over. I travel for business and I try to attend professional games when opportunities are presented. I’m rarely farther north, but in the region I’ve been to Baltimore, Washington and Carolina games. I have no problems going to any of those stadiums.

Is there an occasional obnoxious fan at Raven or Skin games? Sure. Is the majority of the fan base like that? No.

You just don’t get it and you’re making my example for me.

I’m an outside neutral observer. There is an absolute difference and you have nothing to be proud of.

• trigzter - Oct 14, 2011 at 11:57 AM

a neutral observer? your biased against philly and it shows in your posts. nothing neutral about them. And you still never answered my question. Were you harmed at that Eagles game in any way? No? Didnt think so

17. kandh2004 - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM

@lonespeed that right I take it as a badge of honor we are the best fans in the world best city in the world if you don’t like it stay the hell out. I’m so sick of people crying “wahh I went to Philly and the were mean and they were cheering for their team wahh” I know your probably not use to see people cheer where your from but we here in the 215 live and die with our teams

18. kandh2004 - Oct 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM

@icelovinbrotha215 they are only saying shit about the 215 thing cause they know we will reply to it,sticking up for ourselves not like other sissy ass people who leave a comment and don’t come back

• icelovinbrotha215 - Oct 13, 2011 at 11:08 AM

It just amazes me that people expect ALL fans to be laid back and pleasant. Well guess what? That isn’t the reality. You should blame the alcohol if anything. And we all know that isn’t going anywhere soon. You think us fans are bad, how about soccer fans? South America? Europe? They are nuts. But they make the atmosphere. Passionate fans are needed. If you don’t like it then that’s cool. But sports would be boring if everyone was just vanilla.

• lonespeed - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Ever been to a Clemson Tiger game? Ever been to an Auburn tiger game? Ever been to a Pittsburgh Penguin game? Ever been to a San Jose Shark game? Ever been to a Washington Redskin game?

I’m not a fan of any of those teams, but are you going to question their ‘passion’? They are phenominal fan bases. They make atmosphere. They dominate their stadiums. And best of all, there not total asses like Philly fans.

Insulting other fans and insulting opposing players, and overall creating a negative environment does not equal passion.

• icelovinbrotha215 - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM

The Redskins fans dominate their stadium? San Jose does? Outside of the Black Hole, tell me a passionate fan base in Cali? And don’t even bring up college football. There are even more idiots there then in the NFL. Your argument is so weak. If Eagles’ fans are sooo bad, why do they have one of the longest season ticket waiting lists in the NFL? You are selecting one game that you had a horrible experience. Did you sit next to every fan in the stadium? You do realize that the Linc holds 68,532. That’s alot of one-on-one time.

19. dp0609 - Oct 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Ok People,
    did you forget about the Philly fans who trashed the car of the reporter from Montreal last year who drove down to cover the series between the Flyers and the Canadiens? City of Brotherly Love my ass!!

20. PhillieBirds - Oct 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Why would anyone bother to make note of how the part in the video about fighting for cancer isn’t until a good 5-7 seconds into the video. When the first 3 guys popped up the booing started, and then died down as the commercial went along. It’s not like it was a full chorus of boos either.
    But hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good story.

21. buffalotears - Oct 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM

philly fans are straight scum bag pieces of trash

• icelovinbrotha215 - Oct 13, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Tell me you aren’t a Buffalo fan?

22. comeonnowguys - Oct 13, 2011 at 5:15 PM

In the 2010 Finals, cops at the arena were telling Blackhawks fans not to go into the restroom wearing their jerseys, caps, whatever.

That happens everywhere, though, right?

23. sportypants215 - Oct 13, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Mr. O’Brien, I hate to repeat the posts of others, but you leave me no choice. Where to start… regarding the advertisement that was “booed,” that’s not true. The introduction to the advertisement to fight cancer began with the pictures of Sydney Crosby and Jonathan Toews – two people that are far from loved in Philly. While these players photo was shown, the boos rained down. Once the ad began, the fans got silence. The ruthless Flyers fans you depicted are actually the league’s most charitable fans. Since the 70s, the Flyers have run the “Flyers Wives Fight for Lives Carnival” which raises millions (23 to be exact) of dollars to fight cancer and donates to multiple charities. Keeping with hockey, the fact that Ed Snider invited Sarah Palin (ignoring personal politics) to drop the puck in the midst of a presidential campaign was absurd. The rink is for hockey, not political endorsements. The infamous penalty box incident was not intended to go that far. If you would be observant, you’d notice that the glass fell in while the fan was leaning on it. He didn’t jump in and fight.

Now football. Leave what happened 3 generations ago behind. The Santa fill-in was drunk.

The next time you write an article trashing Philadelphia fans, make it relevant, and at least make it factual. Feel free to respond.

24. ch0pstyx - Oct 13, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I am 40 minutes outside of Philly and happen to be a Pens fan. Above all I am a hockey fan first. I never trash talk other teams because for me the game will always be bigger than my favorite team. Now, that being said, I will also say that not all Flyer fans are unruly but I will share some an experience I had last season in December at the Whatever-Its-Called-This-Year Center. I had gotten tickets as a gift from work 4 rows off the ice by the penalty box so I took my female friend along who is a die hard Flyers fan but she is not unruly or abrasive about it in anyway. I decided to wear my LeClair Penguins jersey cause I figured, “Hey, this is less likely to get me a beating than if I wear my Malkin jersey.”

In between periods my friend and I would go walk and grab a beer and just hang out but every five steps someone would yell something derogatory towards me….I mean, not just shouting, literally walking up to us a Penguin fan with a Flyers fan and screaming in my face, “PENGUINS SUCK!” In response I would always just smile and laugh and shake my head. The best line was, “NICE RELATIONSHIP! GET A REAL MAN!”

Long story longer, my friend at the end of the night said, “Wow, I had no idea you had to go through this every game.”

But being from the area and not a complete moron, I am used to it and I don’t get offended because call Philly fans what you want, they are just passionate and for the most part harmless. It still sucks I can’t really enjoy a game without getting harassed but hey…hockey fans are like the players. Tough.

And they were booing the players….not cancer. And if they were booing cancer. GOOD! Fuck cancer! No problem with that in my book!

Don’t take life or yourself too seriously. Game on friends and LET’S GO PENS!

25. eagles512 - Oct 13, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I’m a Philly fan and generally think most Philly fans are idiots. (but no different than other Northeast towns) But I was at the Irvin game and it was silent until Deion started doing some weird dance around Irvin. It was beyond bizarre.

26. cosanostra71 - Oct 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Typical

27. evilresident1 - Oct 13, 2011 at 11:44 PM

As far as Sports fans go — the majority of Philly sports fans are the biggest of cry-babies in the entire world. That’s common knowledge.

Let’s move on from this one, these scumbags are not worthy of any further mention.

28. rexadelphia8 - Oct 14, 2011 at 12:11 AM

All you fools who talk trash about Philly,seem like a bunch of hypocrites, like your a Philly fan at the game. Get your head checked and quit talk in sh……..t behind your computer screen. You all don’t have the balls to even come here. Bunch of kittens aka ???????????

29. phillysportsking - Oct 14, 2011 at 1:46 AM

Mr. O’Brien:

You have to be some Canadian reporter who is approaching 75 years old, and can only remember the gentleman’s game of Hockey being besmirched by a bunch of long-haired players who played with abandon, and brought intimidation back to the forefront of a game in which it already existed.

Your aged type will only remember the Broad Street Bullies, and couldn’t name five skill players on the team right now, a team by the way, destined for greatness this season.

Rather than write a REAL hockey story, about how a GM like Holmgren can blow up a team, throw in all new parts and come out with a product that beat BOTH Stanley Cup finalists in two of the first three games, while easily dispatching their one-time nemesis NJ Devils, you took, as so many before have commented, the lazy way out.

It is a shame I’m too successful in my current employment or else I’d go for your job , seeing how you get paid for doing nothing.

30. flyeredup202 - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Wow….. I was at this game and for those who want to continue to say that Philly Fans are shameless and have no morals. Come to a flyers game…. Flyers fans are nothing like the Eagles fans and the crazy drunk college kids that come to phillies games. I have been a season ticket holder for 7 seasons now and there are very little issues at Flyers games and games that issues present themselves is normally because of a fan wearing another teams jersey has to run his mouth to be tough in philly. This Boo that is being talked about was us booing Sidney Crybaby Crosby for being up on our big screen in our home pond. Once we saw what this Public announcement was about we all cheered and then when it was played again in the 2nd intermission we also cheered… But public news wont tell you that part of it. Its just philly fans are scum, Last I checked we dont burn our city down, beat opposing fans to death in the parking lot or stabb fans on the way out.

31. quizguy66 - Oct 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Good to see the comment traffic ramp up on PHT – even if it has to do with the Flyers fans adding another classic moment to Philadelphia sports history…

-QG

32. buffalotears - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:40 PM

just look at the picture… this guy is a tool and scum bag just like all the other philly fans… philly players are even scum bags… i guess their management was smart enough to ship those alcoholics off the team… plus they all bang each others wives so ya, this team is scum central along with the entire philadelphia area

33. lionraider13 - Oct 17, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Did you honestly criticize Flyers fans for booing Sarah Palin???? Are you going for the “It’s mean to boo the retarded kid” kind of thing there? Because I see no problem booing that wanna-be politician.

34. jimeejohnson - Oct 19, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Philly fan forced himself to puke on another fan. That represents a level of lowlife Philadelphia is now famous for. Not all Philly fans are lowlives, but the ones who are are lower than low could ever be low, which means bigger losers than NY and Boston fans!

35. skippyx - Oct 20, 2011 at 5:18 AM

Any clown who would write an article about Flyer fans and cancer without mentioning Barry Ashbee and the annual Flyers Wives Fight For Lives Carnival is a complete ignorant hack.

You want scum fans?

You could find a personal sized pizza box on Lupul’s shoulder after the OT game winner as well from the same night.

Next steps for the Oilers after Eakins