Oct 13, 2011, 12:46 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers are off to a gorgeous start, but their home opener wasn’t all pretty. According to Puck Daddy and various sources, Flyers fans added to the city’s folklore for over-the-line partisanship on Wednesday by booing members of rival teams … who were part of a “Hockey Fights Cancer” campaign. Yikes.
Just as the sports world was getting around to feeling sorry for Philly fans after the Eagles and Phillies produced large quantities of misery, they slap away that sympathy with an ill-timed round of jeers. (That being said, we’d advise you to react in the same way people should to Sean Avery‘s antics: by shaking your head and rolling your eyes. It’s mostly harmless stupidity, except when they start pummeling someone for wearing a Sidney Crosby jersey.)
It’s not fair to say that all Flyers/Philadelphia sports fans have such a cruel streak, but like Vancouver residents after Game 7 Defeat Riots Part II, it’s likely that the bad apples will spoil the bunch. Feel free to add more examples in the comments – Philly fans have quite the resume – but here’s some of the most obvious low points in Philadelphia fandom. (This story provided backup and also gives some other cringe-worthy moments.)
- Cheering when Michael Irvin suffered a career-ending injury. Yes, the Dallas Cowboys are hated rivals, but that is literally the opposite of how most fan bases react to such situations. (Philly fans have reversed this trend, for the most part, recently.)
- Bombarding a guy dressed up as Santa with snowballs just seems like bad form, doesn’t it?
- As you’ve heard, Philly fans have been accused at throwing batteries on occasion, which is significantly worse (except when those snowballs are actually just frozen bricks/rocks/etc.)
- Going the hockey route, Flyers fans booed Sarah Palin and one fan ended up getting into an unforgettable penalty box tussle with Tie Domi.
Again, surely there are plenty – likely millions – of Philadelphia sports fans who are civilized and knowledgeable. Still, moments like these make you wonder if a huge portion of the city’s sports fans are actually trying to live up to their bad reputation.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)