Oct 13, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
The name Miikka Kiprusoff doesn’t resonate with hockey fans like it once did. The workhorse goalie has been plugging along with the Calgary Flames regardless and that consistency could help him become the team’s all-time leader in wins today, according to Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald.
Kipper would hit the 263 regular season wins mark if the Flames beat the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday. Mike Vernon is currently the team’s leader in wins. I’m always a little reluctant to praise a goalie for hitting a wins total if their losses/other numbers aren’t taken into account, but Kiprusoff has a nice 262-157-55 record in regular season games during his Flames career.
Striving for this milestone might provide an extra incentive for a Calgary club that hopes to avoid the distinction of being the last NHL team without a point this season. We’ll see if the Flames can pull that off tonight, but Kipper should be the Flames’ wins leader in the near future.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 6
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 15
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)