Oct 13, 2011, 1:40 PM EST
The name Miikka Kiprusoff doesn’t resonate with hockey fans like it once did. The workhorse goalie has been plugging along with the Calgary Flames regardless and that consistency could help him become the team’s all-time leader in wins today, according to Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald.
Kipper would hit the 263 regular season wins mark if the Flames beat the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday. Mike Vernon is currently the team’s leader in wins. I’m always a little reluctant to praise a goalie for hitting a wins total if their losses/other numbers aren’t taken into account, but Kiprusoff has a nice 262-157-55 record in regular season games during his Flames career.
Striving for this milestone might provide an extra incentive for a Calgary club that hopes to avoid the distinction of being the last NHL team without a point this season. We’ll see if the Flames can pull that off tonight, but Kipper should be the Flames’ wins leader in the near future.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)