Oct 13, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
The name Miikka Kiprusoff doesn’t resonate with hockey fans like it once did. The workhorse goalie has been plugging along with the Calgary Flames regardless and that consistency could help him become the team’s all-time leader in wins today, according to Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald.
Kipper would hit the 263 regular season wins mark if the Flames beat the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday. Mike Vernon is currently the team’s leader in wins. I’m always a little reluctant to praise a goalie for hitting a wins total if their losses/other numbers aren’t taken into account, but Kiprusoff has a nice 262-157-55 record in regular season games during his Flames career.
Striving for this milestone might provide an extra incentive for a Calgary club that hopes to avoid the distinction of being the last NHL team without a point this season. We’ll see if the Flames can pull that off tonight, but Kipper should be the Flames’ wins leader in the near future.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21