Oct 13, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
The name Miikka Kiprusoff doesn’t resonate with hockey fans like it once did. The workhorse goalie has been plugging along with the Calgary Flames regardless and that consistency could help him become the team’s all-time leader in wins today, according to Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald.
Kipper would hit the 263 regular season wins mark if the Flames beat the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday. Mike Vernon is currently the team’s leader in wins. I’m always a little reluctant to praise a goalie for hitting a wins total if their losses/other numbers aren’t taken into account, but Kiprusoff has a nice 262-157-55 record in regular season games during his Flames career.
Striving for this milestone might provide an extra incentive for a Calgary club that hopes to avoid the distinction of being the last NHL team without a point this season. We’ll see if the Flames can pull that off tonight, but Kipper should be the Flames’ wins leader in the near future.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)