Oct 13, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
The name Miikka Kiprusoff doesn’t resonate with hockey fans like it once did. The workhorse goalie has been plugging along with the Calgary Flames regardless and that consistency could help him become the team’s all-time leader in wins today, according to Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald.
Kipper would hit the 263 regular season wins mark if the Flames beat the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday. Mike Vernon is currently the team’s leader in wins. I’m always a little reluctant to praise a goalie for hitting a wins total if their losses/other numbers aren’t taken into account, but Kiprusoff has a nice 262-157-55 record in regular season games during his Flames career.
Striving for this milestone might provide an extra incentive for a Calgary club that hopes to avoid the distinction of being the last NHL team without a point this season. We’ll see if the Flames can pull that off tonight, but Kipper should be the Flames’ wins leader in the near future.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)