Oct 13, 2011, 9:07 PM EDT
Fans in New Jersey may have felt their heart skip a beat when Martin Brodeur left tonight’s game vs. Los Angeles with “upper body soreness.” Brodeur had stopped 10 of the 11 shots he saw in the first period; after seeing a barrage of action to start the game, the Devils (and Brodeur) settled down and only gave up a single goal.
With about eight minutes left in the first period. After making a scrambling save while going to his right, he went to the bench to see the trainer at the next stoppage. He stayed in the net for the rest of the first period (and saw limited action), but did not return to the net for the second period. Johan Hedberg took his place between the pipes for the Devilsl while Brodeur took a spot on the end of the Devils bench. For optimists, the simple fact that he was able to return to the bench and was smiling leads one to believe that the injury isn’t that serious.
Chris Botta from the New York Times agreed (in his own way):
Devils fans certainly hope the injury isn’t serious. Without Brodeur in the lineup, New Jersey would be forced to go with Johan Hedberg and probably Jeff Frazee. Injuries wouldn’t be anything new for Brodeur though. Since playing in 70+ games for ten straight seasons between 1997 and 2008, he’s missed significant time in two of the past three seasons. Last season, the future Hall of Famer missed 26 games with MCL and elbow problems. In 2008-09, he missed 50 games with a torn tendon in his biceps. This isn’t exactly the trend Devils’ fans want to see as they look to regain their place among the Atlantic Division’s elite.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)