Oct 12, 2011, 10:08 AM EDT
It’s taken over a season for it to happen, but last year’s second overall pick, Tyler Seguin, is finally going to be the Bruins’ first line center. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports that Seguin will play on the first line tonight against Carolina (7:30 p.m. on Versus) and be the guy responsible for setting up Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton.
Of course, the twist in how Seguin ends up in that driver’s seat is a bit more trying for the team than they’d like. David Krejci‘s mysterious injury suffered in practice has knocked him out of that role and Marc Savard is probably not going to play for the Bruins this season or potentially ever again with concussion problems.
Seguin’s ascension to the top line wouldn’t happen, however, unless he was actually getting things done and this season he’s shown so far that he’s capable of handling the promotion. His work on the third line has been inspired and the aggressive skating, high-flying Seguin we saw in the playoffs last year is back full-time.
If Seguin can spark Lucic and Horton into action after coach Claude Julien said he wanted more out of those two, Seguin could help himself out more than anything else by proving he belongs in that role. Considering how well Krejci worked with those two last season, that’d take quite the effort.
If Seguin can turn Julien into a “Seguinista,” Boston fans might just get to forget about all that fried chicken and beer getting talked about with their baseball team.
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 0
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 10
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 29
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 91
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 99
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games