Oct 12, 2011, 4:15 PM EST
The move allows Nystrom to stick around in the NHL rather than getting booted down to the Wild’s AHL team in Houston. The convenience for the Stars in getting Nystrom at his full value at $1.4 million against the salary cap this season and next is that now the Stars don’t have to make a rash move to get above the salary floor.
Now when the Stars need to demote Philip Larsen to the AHL in favor of injury recovered Adam Pardy they won’t fall below the floor. The Stars ended up in that position thanks to Sean Avery being demoted to the AHL by the New York Rangers. Yeah, the business side of things gets a bit confusing to follow along with. Thank goodness for Cap Geek.
Nystrom heads to Dallas as a solid fourth line, energy player and gives the Stars the means to send young forward Tomas Vincour back to the AHL for a bit more seasoning. Nystrom fits in well with the Stars’ bevy of physical forwards like Steve Ott, Krys Barch, and Brenden Morrow. He’ll give them a bit more of a talented bite on their checking line.
Nystrom landing in Dallas helps put a nice bow on what was turning into a sad story after his unfortunate role in Taylor Fedun’s broken leg. Seeing him stick around in the NHL puts some warm-fuzzies on this trade.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)