Oct 12, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT
The move allows Nystrom to stick around in the NHL rather than getting booted down to the Wild’s AHL team in Houston. The convenience for the Stars in getting Nystrom at his full value at $1.4 million against the salary cap this season and next is that now the Stars don’t have to make a rash move to get above the salary floor.
Now when the Stars need to demote Philip Larsen to the AHL in favor of injury recovered Adam Pardy they won’t fall below the floor. The Stars ended up in that position thanks to Sean Avery being demoted to the AHL by the New York Rangers. Yeah, the business side of things gets a bit confusing to follow along with. Thank goodness for Cap Geek.
Nystrom heads to Dallas as a solid fourth line, energy player and gives the Stars the means to send young forward Tomas Vincour back to the AHL for a bit more seasoning. Nystrom fits in well with the Stars’ bevy of physical forwards like Steve Ott, Krys Barch, and Brenden Morrow. He’ll give them a bit more of a talented bite on their checking line.
Nystrom landing in Dallas helps put a nice bow on what was turning into a sad story after his unfortunate role in Taylor Fedun’s broken leg. Seeing him stick around in the NHL puts some warm-fuzzies on this trade.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 15
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)