Oct 12, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT
The move allows Nystrom to stick around in the NHL rather than getting booted down to the Wild’s AHL team in Houston. The convenience for the Stars in getting Nystrom at his full value at $1.4 million against the salary cap this season and next is that now the Stars don’t have to make a rash move to get above the salary floor.
Now when the Stars need to demote Philip Larsen to the AHL in favor of injury recovered Adam Pardy they won’t fall below the floor. The Stars ended up in that position thanks to Sean Avery being demoted to the AHL by the New York Rangers. Yeah, the business side of things gets a bit confusing to follow along with. Thank goodness for Cap Geek.
Nystrom heads to Dallas as a solid fourth line, energy player and gives the Stars the means to send young forward Tomas Vincour back to the AHL for a bit more seasoning. Nystrom fits in well with the Stars’ bevy of physical forwards like Steve Ott, Krys Barch, and Brenden Morrow. He’ll give them a bit more of a talented bite on their checking line.
Nystrom landing in Dallas helps put a nice bow on what was turning into a sad story after his unfortunate role in Taylor Fedun’s broken leg. Seeing him stick around in the NHL puts some warm-fuzzies on this trade.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)