Oct 12, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT
The move allows Nystrom to stick around in the NHL rather than getting booted down to the Wild’s AHL team in Houston. The convenience for the Stars in getting Nystrom at his full value at $1.4 million against the salary cap this season and next is that now the Stars don’t have to make a rash move to get above the salary floor.
Now when the Stars need to demote Philip Larsen to the AHL in favor of injury recovered Adam Pardy they won’t fall below the floor. The Stars ended up in that position thanks to Sean Avery being demoted to the AHL by the New York Rangers. Yeah, the business side of things gets a bit confusing to follow along with. Thank goodness for Cap Geek.
Nystrom heads to Dallas as a solid fourth line, energy player and gives the Stars the means to send young forward Tomas Vincour back to the AHL for a bit more seasoning. Nystrom fits in well with the Stars’ bevy of physical forwards like Steve Ott, Krys Barch, and Brenden Morrow. He’ll give them a bit more of a talented bite on their checking line.
Nystrom landing in Dallas helps put a nice bow on what was turning into a sad story after his unfortunate role in Taylor Fedun’s broken leg. Seeing him stick around in the NHL puts some warm-fuzzies on this trade.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)