Oct 12, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT
The move allows Nystrom to stick around in the NHL rather than getting booted down to the Wild’s AHL team in Houston. The convenience for the Stars in getting Nystrom at his full value at $1.4 million against the salary cap this season and next is that now the Stars don’t have to make a rash move to get above the salary floor.
Now when the Stars need to demote Philip Larsen to the AHL in favor of injury recovered Adam Pardy they won’t fall below the floor. The Stars ended up in that position thanks to Sean Avery being demoted to the AHL by the New York Rangers. Yeah, the business side of things gets a bit confusing to follow along with. Thank goodness for Cap Geek.
Nystrom heads to Dallas as a solid fourth line, energy player and gives the Stars the means to send young forward Tomas Vincour back to the AHL for a bit more seasoning. Nystrom fits in well with the Stars’ bevy of physical forwards like Steve Ott, Krys Barch, and Brenden Morrow. He’ll give them a bit more of a talented bite on their checking line.
Nystrom landing in Dallas helps put a nice bow on what was turning into a sad story after his unfortunate role in Taylor Fedun’s broken leg. Seeing him stick around in the NHL puts some warm-fuzzies on this trade.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)