Oct 12, 2011, 1:51 PM EDT
While the Blackhawks are gearing up for the next game tomorrow against Winnipeg, we’ve seen Corey Crawford get a maintenance day recently (although Joel Quenneville says he’ll be fine) and today it was Ray Emery who didn’t see any action in practice while Crawford was back at it. Making things more interesting, the Blackhawks called up Alexander Salak from the AHL, but whose spot is he potentially taking?
The Blackhawks’ competition for the backup job during training camp turned into a good one for the organization because now they’ve got three goalies that can get worked into a game without issue. The injury problem here, however, is the primary concern.
If it’s Crawford and his wonky groin, that’s a big problem for Chicago as they’re banking on Crawford to be their go-to guy in goal. If it’s Emery, that’s a softer blow to absorb given Emery’s past injury issues means that any team keeping him on board now has to have someone competent in the pipeline behind him. Salak, while young, is capable of handling the backup job in Chicago if needed.
Still, this isn’t the kind of issue Quenneville wants to have come up at all. If Crawford’s groin turns into a bigger issue, an Emery-Salak pairing puts the Blackhawks in a tough spot.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 26
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 19
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22