Oct 12, 2011, 1:51 PM EDT
While the Blackhawks are gearing up for the next game tomorrow against Winnipeg, we’ve seen Corey Crawford get a maintenance day recently (although Joel Quenneville says he’ll be fine) and today it was Ray Emery who didn’t see any action in practice while Crawford was back at it. Making things more interesting, the Blackhawks called up Alexander Salak from the AHL, but whose spot is he potentially taking?
The Blackhawks’ competition for the backup job during training camp turned into a good one for the organization because now they’ve got three goalies that can get worked into a game without issue. The injury problem here, however, is the primary concern.
If it’s Crawford and his wonky groin, that’s a big problem for Chicago as they’re banking on Crawford to be their go-to guy in goal. If it’s Emery, that’s a softer blow to absorb given Emery’s past injury issues means that any team keeping him on board now has to have someone competent in the pipeline behind him. Salak, while young, is capable of handling the backup job in Chicago if needed.
Still, this isn’t the kind of issue Quenneville wants to have come up at all. If Crawford’s groin turns into a bigger issue, an Emery-Salak pairing puts the Blackhawks in a tough spot.
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 0
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)