Oct 12, 2011, 1:51 PM EDT
While the Blackhawks are gearing up for the next game tomorrow against Winnipeg, we’ve seen Corey Crawford get a maintenance day recently (although Joel Quenneville says he’ll be fine) and today it was Ray Emery who didn’t see any action in practice while Crawford was back at it. Making things more interesting, the Blackhawks called up Alexander Salak from the AHL, but whose spot is he potentially taking?
The Blackhawks’ competition for the backup job during training camp turned into a good one for the organization because now they’ve got three goalies that can get worked into a game without issue. The injury problem here, however, is the primary concern.
If it’s Crawford and his wonky groin, that’s a big problem for Chicago as they’re banking on Crawford to be their go-to guy in goal. If it’s Emery, that’s a softer blow to absorb given Emery’s past injury issues means that any team keeping him on board now has to have someone competent in the pipeline behind him. Salak, while young, is capable of handling the backup job in Chicago if needed.
Still, this isn’t the kind of issue Quenneville wants to have come up at all. If Crawford’s groin turns into a bigger issue, an Emery-Salak pairing puts the Blackhawks in a tough spot.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 6
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)