Oct 12, 2011, 6:18 PM EST
Sometimes teams can fall into a good relationship with each other. The Sharks and Wild made a few deals this summer and now Flyers GM Paul Holmgren must be getting jealous of that partnership because he’s made another deal with Los Angeles.
It’s not a blockbuster as he gives up low-level prospect Stefan Legein and a sixth round pick to the Kings for future considerations, but after the summer both Holmgren and Kings GM Dean Lombardi had stunning the world, why not stay in that comfort zone?
The facts here in this case are simple. The Flyers are happy to be rid of another contract as they were at the 50 contract limit. Now they’ve got a spot opened up and it’s likely we’ll see Sean Couturier stick around the length of the season now because of it. Of course, the Flyers might have to make a salary cap move there to make that happen as well, so Holmgren may not be done.
If the Kings and Flyers want to get on the same level as the Sharks and Wild for curious transaction friendship, they’re going to need to make another blockbuster deal to make it all work out on the same level. It’s too bad the Flyers don’t need a goalie anymore, the Kings have a really good young one that a monster deal could’ve been worked out around. Maybe next time.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11