Oct 12, 2011, 6:18 PM EDT
Sometimes teams can fall into a good relationship with each other. The Sharks and Wild made a few deals this summer and now Flyers GM Paul Holmgren must be getting jealous of that partnership because he’s made another deal with Los Angeles.
It’s not a blockbuster as he gives up low-level prospect Stefan Legein and a sixth round pick to the Kings for future considerations, but after the summer both Holmgren and Kings GM Dean Lombardi had stunning the world, why not stay in that comfort zone?
The facts here in this case are simple. The Flyers are happy to be rid of another contract as they were at the 50 contract limit. Now they’ve got a spot opened up and it’s likely we’ll see Sean Couturier stick around the length of the season now because of it. Of course, the Flyers might have to make a salary cap move there to make that happen as well, so Holmgren may not be done.
If the Kings and Flyers want to get on the same level as the Sharks and Wild for curious transaction friendship, they’re going to need to make another blockbuster deal to make it all work out on the same level. It’s too bad the Flyers don’t need a goalie anymore, the Kings have a really good young one that a monster deal could’ve been worked out around. Maybe next time.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)