Oct 12, 2011, 6:18 PM EST
Sometimes teams can fall into a good relationship with each other. The Sharks and Wild made a few deals this summer and now Flyers GM Paul Holmgren must be getting jealous of that partnership because he’s made another deal with Los Angeles.
It’s not a blockbuster as he gives up low-level prospect Stefan Legein and a sixth round pick to the Kings for future considerations, but after the summer both Holmgren and Kings GM Dean Lombardi had stunning the world, why not stay in that comfort zone?
The facts here in this case are simple. The Flyers are happy to be rid of another contract as they were at the 50 contract limit. Now they’ve got a spot opened up and it’s likely we’ll see Sean Couturier stick around the length of the season now because of it. Of course, the Flyers might have to make a salary cap move there to make that happen as well, so Holmgren may not be done.
If the Kings and Flyers want to get on the same level as the Sharks and Wild for curious transaction friendship, they’re going to need to make another blockbuster deal to make it all work out on the same level. It’s too bad the Flyers don’t need a goalie anymore, the Kings have a really good young one that a monster deal could’ve been worked out around. Maybe next time.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 3
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)