Oct 12, 2011, 6:18 PM EDT
Sometimes teams can fall into a good relationship with each other. The Sharks and Wild made a few deals this summer and now Flyers GM Paul Holmgren must be getting jealous of that partnership because he’s made another deal with Los Angeles.
It’s not a blockbuster as he gives up low-level prospect Stefan Legein and a sixth round pick to the Kings for future considerations, but after the summer both Holmgren and Kings GM Dean Lombardi had stunning the world, why not stay in that comfort zone?
The facts here in this case are simple. The Flyers are happy to be rid of another contract as they were at the 50 contract limit. Now they’ve got a spot opened up and it’s likely we’ll see Sean Couturier stick around the length of the season now because of it. Of course, the Flyers might have to make a salary cap move there to make that happen as well, so Holmgren may not be done.
If the Kings and Flyers want to get on the same level as the Sharks and Wild for curious transaction friendship, they’re going to need to make another blockbuster deal to make it all work out on the same level. It’s too bad the Flyers don’t need a goalie anymore, the Kings have a really good young one that a monster deal could’ve been worked out around. Maybe next time.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 36
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 8
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)