Oct 12, 2011, 3:55 PM EDT
We know, this kind of earth-shattering news might make you stop in your tracks wondering if up is still up and down is still down. Arthur Staple of New York Newsday reports that it was a Brian Rolston slap shot to the head that did the trick for DiPietro this time and that his old school style mask bore the brunt of the blow. DiPietro had to switch to the old mask after he had his lights knocked out by Penguins goalie Brent Johnson last season.
Isles coach Jack Capuano said that DiPietro appeared to be OK. We know how these things go with DiPietro, however.
At some point you have to wonder if DiPietro’s house was built on an old cemetery or if he happened to make his Long Island home in Amityville in a certain horror house there. Fortunately for the Islanders, goaltending depth isn’t a worry this season as Al Montoya has started their first two games this season and looked brilliant all while Evgeni Nabokov waits in the wings as their third goalie.
DiPietro had yet to get in a game this year. We’ll see if this shot to the mask keeps him on the sidelines for any amount of time. In the meantime, DiPietro should avoid black cats, walking under ladders, and getting near any mirrors.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 7
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)