Oct 12, 2011, 3:55 PM EDT
We know, this kind of earth-shattering news might make you stop in your tracks wondering if up is still up and down is still down. Arthur Staple of New York Newsday reports that it was a Brian Rolston slap shot to the head that did the trick for DiPietro this time and that his old school style mask bore the brunt of the blow. DiPietro had to switch to the old mask after he had his lights knocked out by Penguins goalie Brent Johnson last season.
Isles coach Jack Capuano said that DiPietro appeared to be OK. We know how these things go with DiPietro, however.
At some point you have to wonder if DiPietro’s house was built on an old cemetery or if he happened to make his Long Island home in Amityville in a certain horror house there. Fortunately for the Islanders, goaltending depth isn’t a worry this season as Al Montoya has started their first two games this season and looked brilliant all while Evgeni Nabokov waits in the wings as their third goalie.
DiPietro had yet to get in a game this year. We’ll see if this shot to the mask keeps him on the sidelines for any amount of time. In the meantime, DiPietro should avoid black cats, walking under ladders, and getting near any mirrors.
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 0
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 8
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 23
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 84
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 98
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)