Oct 12, 2011, 3:55 PM EDT
We know, this kind of earth-shattering news might make you stop in your tracks wondering if up is still up and down is still down. Arthur Staple of New York Newsday reports that it was a Brian Rolston slap shot to the head that did the trick for DiPietro this time and that his old school style mask bore the brunt of the blow. DiPietro had to switch to the old mask after he had his lights knocked out by Penguins goalie Brent Johnson last season.
Isles coach Jack Capuano said that DiPietro appeared to be OK. We know how these things go with DiPietro, however.
At some point you have to wonder if DiPietro’s house was built on an old cemetery or if he happened to make his Long Island home in Amityville in a certain horror house there. Fortunately for the Islanders, goaltending depth isn’t a worry this season as Al Montoya has started their first two games this season and looked brilliant all while Evgeni Nabokov waits in the wings as their third goalie.
DiPietro had yet to get in a game this year. We’ll see if this shot to the mask keeps him on the sidelines for any amount of time. In the meantime, DiPietro should avoid black cats, walking under ladders, and getting near any mirrors.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)