Oct 12, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
If other NHL GMs played “Let’s Make A Deal” they obviously felt like they could get something better behind Door #2 rather than taking a shot with half-priced energy forward Eric Nystrom. Michael Russo of the Star Tribune reports that Nystrom has cleared re-entry waivers and is back with the Wild for at least the time being.
Nystrom had two years left on his contract paying him $1.4 million a year, but on re-entry waivers, any team claiming him would only pay half that while the Wild would be on the hook for the other half. Instead, Nystrom is back in Minnesota and the Wild roster sits at 24 players, one guy too many. The Wild can either put a player on injured reserve, make a trade, or send Nystrom back to their AHL team in Houston to make room.
It seems baffling that none of the other 29 teams would grab Nystrom at the discounted price, but we’re still awfully early in the season and many teams are reticent to make an addition without having a corresponding move. Still, you don’t look a gift horse in the mouth – you jump on that sucker and ride off laughing all the way. For those other GMs, perhaps they’ll find a donkey behind Door #2 instead.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)