Oct 12, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
If other NHL GMs played “Let’s Make A Deal” they obviously felt like they could get something better behind Door #2 rather than taking a shot with half-priced energy forward Eric Nystrom. Michael Russo of the Star Tribune reports that Nystrom has cleared re-entry waivers and is back with the Wild for at least the time being.
Nystrom had two years left on his contract paying him $1.4 million a year, but on re-entry waivers, any team claiming him would only pay half that while the Wild would be on the hook for the other half. Instead, Nystrom is back in Minnesota and the Wild roster sits at 24 players, one guy too many. The Wild can either put a player on injured reserve, make a trade, or send Nystrom back to their AHL team in Houston to make room.
It seems baffling that none of the other 29 teams would grab Nystrom at the discounted price, but we’re still awfully early in the season and many teams are reticent to make an addition without having a corresponding move. Still, you don’t look a gift horse in the mouth – you jump on that sucker and ride off laughing all the way. For those other GMs, perhaps they’ll find a donkey behind Door #2 instead.
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 3
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 6
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 8
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)