Oct 12, 2011, 12:15 AM EDT
You’d think that the Pittsburgh Penguins would suffer a bit without Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in the lineup. Crosby’s still dealing with his concussion while Malkin has lower-body soreness that’s keeping him out of action. While Pittsburgh still has Jordan Staal and Kris Letang to spur their offense on, it’s a cast of unknown and infamous characters helping them roll along.
Chances are you don’t know Joe Vitale but we’re pretty sure you know who Matt Cooke is. Instead of creating a new talking point for controversy, Cooke is scoring goals and keeping it clean to help the offense roll along. For a guy that’s better known for his defensive play, getting three goals in four games from Cooke is stunning.
Vitale won a job in training camp and he’s taking full advantage of the added playing time. Vitale has teamed up with Cooke to provide the Penguins with a depth line that’s catching opponents off guard in a big way. Just ask Florida, which saw Vitale school them with a sweet pass to Cooke to give Pittsburgh a 2-0 lead in its 4-2 win. The win helped the Pens improve to 3-0-1 to start the season, their best start in 17 years.
Getting the bonus offense from Pascal Dupuis, Craig Adams, and Richard Park helps this no-name Pittsburgh team show that what they did last season without Crosby and Malkin isn’t a fluke. Instead, it’s just a lesson that Dan Bylsma didn’t win the Jack Adams Award for no good reason. If the Pens are rolling along like this now, just think of how they’ll be with Crosby and Malkin back in the lineup.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)