Oct 12, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
When the Sharks acquired Martin Havlat from Minnesota for Dany Heatley, they were banking on him helping change things up in San Jose so they could make a run at the Stanley Cup. Havlat’s season, however, is yet to begin as David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News shares he’s continuing to rehab to get back on the ice and he won’t let it affect how he plays either.
Havlat wasn’t needed or missed in the Sharks’ lone game of the year, a 6-3 win over Phoenix, but if the Sharks are going to come out as winners in the Western Conference and win the Stanley Cup they’ll need him to get over all of his shoulder issues and help Joe Thornton light it up on the first line.
Havlat has had two big injuries to his shoulder that needed surgery, dislocating it in 2007 and tearing his labrum back in May. The Wild dealing Havlat to San Jose for Heatley with a big chunk of contract left for Havlat and a dicey injury history helped make the deal even more intriguing and that’s not even taking Heatley’s own drama into account.
If Havlat’s woes drag on or become reignited, the Sharks might be able to win without him, but they’re surely not going to come away looking like the winners in the trade. Havlat’s got a bit more than his own worries on his addled shoulders, he’s got the Sharks’ shot at the Cup there too.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)