Oct 12, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
When the Sharks acquired Martin Havlat from Minnesota for Dany Heatley, they were banking on him helping change things up in San Jose so they could make a run at the Stanley Cup. Havlat’s season, however, is yet to begin as David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News shares he’s continuing to rehab to get back on the ice and he won’t let it affect how he plays either.
Havlat wasn’t needed or missed in the Sharks’ lone game of the year, a 6-3 win over Phoenix, but if the Sharks are going to come out as winners in the Western Conference and win the Stanley Cup they’ll need him to get over all of his shoulder issues and help Joe Thornton light it up on the first line.
Havlat has had two big injuries to his shoulder that needed surgery, dislocating it in 2007 and tearing his labrum back in May. The Wild dealing Havlat to San Jose for Heatley with a big chunk of contract left for Havlat and a dicey injury history helped make the deal even more intriguing and that’s not even taking Heatley’s own drama into account.
If Havlat’s woes drag on or become reignited, the Sharks might be able to win without him, but they’re surely not going to come away looking like the winners in the trade. Havlat’s got a bit more than his own worries on his addled shoulders, he’s got the Sharks’ shot at the Cup there too.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)