Oct 12, 2011, 8:00 AM EST
When the Sharks acquired Martin Havlat from Minnesota for Dany Heatley, they were banking on him helping change things up in San Jose so they could make a run at the Stanley Cup. Havlat’s season, however, is yet to begin as David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News shares he’s continuing to rehab to get back on the ice and he won’t let it affect how he plays either.
Havlat wasn’t needed or missed in the Sharks’ lone game of the year, a 6-3 win over Phoenix, but if the Sharks are going to come out as winners in the Western Conference and win the Stanley Cup they’ll need him to get over all of his shoulder issues and help Joe Thornton light it up on the first line.
Havlat has had two big injuries to his shoulder that needed surgery, dislocating it in 2007 and tearing his labrum back in May. The Wild dealing Havlat to San Jose for Heatley with a big chunk of contract left for Havlat and a dicey injury history helped make the deal even more intriguing and that’s not even taking Heatley’s own drama into account.
If Havlat’s woes drag on or become reignited, the Sharks might be able to win without him, but they’re surely not going to come away looking like the winners in the trade. Havlat’s got a bit more than his own worries on his addled shoulders, he’s got the Sharks’ shot at the Cup there too.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)