Oct 12, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
When the Sharks acquired Martin Havlat from Minnesota for Dany Heatley, they were banking on him helping change things up in San Jose so they could make a run at the Stanley Cup. Havlat’s season, however, is yet to begin as David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News shares he’s continuing to rehab to get back on the ice and he won’t let it affect how he plays either.
Havlat wasn’t needed or missed in the Sharks’ lone game of the year, a 6-3 win over Phoenix, but if the Sharks are going to come out as winners in the Western Conference and win the Stanley Cup they’ll need him to get over all of his shoulder issues and help Joe Thornton light it up on the first line.
Havlat has had two big injuries to his shoulder that needed surgery, dislocating it in 2007 and tearing his labrum back in May. The Wild dealing Havlat to San Jose for Heatley with a big chunk of contract left for Havlat and a dicey injury history helped make the deal even more intriguing and that’s not even taking Heatley’s own drama into account.
If Havlat’s woes drag on or become reignited, the Sharks might be able to win without him, but they’re surely not going to come away looking like the winners in the trade. Havlat’s got a bit more than his own worries on his addled shoulders, he’s got the Sharks’ shot at the Cup there too.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 8
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 27
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)