Oct 12, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
When the Sharks acquired Martin Havlat from Minnesota for Dany Heatley, they were banking on him helping change things up in San Jose so they could make a run at the Stanley Cup. Havlat’s season, however, is yet to begin as David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News shares he’s continuing to rehab to get back on the ice and he won’t let it affect how he plays either.
Havlat wasn’t needed or missed in the Sharks’ lone game of the year, a 6-3 win over Phoenix, but if the Sharks are going to come out as winners in the Western Conference and win the Stanley Cup they’ll need him to get over all of his shoulder issues and help Joe Thornton light it up on the first line.
Havlat has had two big injuries to his shoulder that needed surgery, dislocating it in 2007 and tearing his labrum back in May. The Wild dealing Havlat to San Jose for Heatley with a big chunk of contract left for Havlat and a dicey injury history helped make the deal even more intriguing and that’s not even taking Heatley’s own drama into account.
If Havlat’s woes drag on or become reignited, the Sharks might be able to win without him, but they’re surely not going to come away looking like the winners in the trade. Havlat’s got a bit more than his own worries on his addled shoulders, he’s got the Sharks’ shot at the Cup there too.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)