Oct 12, 2011, 12:07 PM EDT
Guy Boucher is one of the smartest coaches in the league. His work with the Lightning last season was that of a virtual miracle worker taking the Lightning from the basement to the playoffs.
The Lightning are off to a bit of a slow start this year going 1-1-1 and for Boucher it’s all about a process or re-learning what they’ve already learned. That’s not quite like how Yoda taught it in “The Empire Strikes Back” when he said to “unlearn what you have learned” but as Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune finds out, it’s something Boucher expected at the beginning of the season.
Being that one step ahead of things is what helps Boucher be one of the better coaches in the game. His ability to prepare his team and adapt on the fly is what helped the Lightning get to the Eastern Conference finals last season. Now if he can help the Lightning get past the Galactic Empire (Washington) in the Southeast and avoid being wiped out by an Emperor (Tim Thomas?), he’ll be one step ahead of Yoda.
For now, his coaching zen will be best used in helping Tampa Bay navigate through the early doldrums. Perhaps his own version of Luke Skywalker in Steve Stamkos can be the one to lead the way.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)