Oct 12, 2011, 12:07 PM EDT
Guy Boucher is one of the smartest coaches in the league. His work with the Lightning last season was that of a virtual miracle worker taking the Lightning from the basement to the playoffs.
The Lightning are off to a bit of a slow start this year going 1-1-1 and for Boucher it’s all about a process or re-learning what they’ve already learned. That’s not quite like how Yoda taught it in “The Empire Strikes Back” when he said to “unlearn what you have learned” but as Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune finds out, it’s something Boucher expected at the beginning of the season.
Being that one step ahead of things is what helps Boucher be one of the better coaches in the game. His ability to prepare his team and adapt on the fly is what helped the Lightning get to the Eastern Conference finals last season. Now if he can help the Lightning get past the Galactic Empire (Washington) in the Southeast and avoid being wiped out by an Emperor (Tim Thomas?), he’ll be one step ahead of Yoda.
For now, his coaching zen will be best used in helping Tampa Bay navigate through the early doldrums. Perhaps his own version of Luke Skywalker in Steve Stamkos can be the one to lead the way.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)