Oct 12, 2011, 12:07 PM EDT
Guy Boucher is one of the smartest coaches in the league. His work with the Lightning last season was that of a virtual miracle worker taking the Lightning from the basement to the playoffs.
The Lightning are off to a bit of a slow start this year going 1-1-1 and for Boucher it’s all about a process or re-learning what they’ve already learned. That’s not quite like how Yoda taught it in “The Empire Strikes Back” when he said to “unlearn what you have learned” but as Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune finds out, it’s something Boucher expected at the beginning of the season.
Being that one step ahead of things is what helps Boucher be one of the better coaches in the game. His ability to prepare his team and adapt on the fly is what helped the Lightning get to the Eastern Conference finals last season. Now if he can help the Lightning get past the Galactic Empire (Washington) in the Southeast and avoid being wiped out by an Emperor (Tim Thomas?), he’ll be one step ahead of Yoda.
For now, his coaching zen will be best used in helping Tampa Bay navigate through the early doldrums. Perhaps his own version of Luke Skywalker in Steve Stamkos can be the one to lead the way.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)