Oct 12, 2011, 12:07 PM EDT
Guy Boucher is one of the smartest coaches in the league. His work with the Lightning last season was that of a virtual miracle worker taking the Lightning from the basement to the playoffs.
The Lightning are off to a bit of a slow start this year going 1-1-1 and for Boucher it’s all about a process or re-learning what they’ve already learned. That’s not quite like how Yoda taught it in “The Empire Strikes Back” when he said to “unlearn what you have learned” but as Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune finds out, it’s something Boucher expected at the beginning of the season.
Being that one step ahead of things is what helps Boucher be one of the better coaches in the game. His ability to prepare his team and adapt on the fly is what helped the Lightning get to the Eastern Conference finals last season. Now if he can help the Lightning get past the Galactic Empire (Washington) in the Southeast and avoid being wiped out by an Emperor (Tim Thomas?), he’ll be one step ahead of Yoda.
For now, his coaching zen will be best used in helping Tampa Bay navigate through the early doldrums. Perhaps his own version of Luke Skywalker in Steve Stamkos can be the one to lead the way.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)