Oct 12, 2011, 12:07 PM EDT
Guy Boucher is one of the smartest coaches in the league. His work with the Lightning last season was that of a virtual miracle worker taking the Lightning from the basement to the playoffs.
The Lightning are off to a bit of a slow start this year going 1-1-1 and for Boucher it’s all about a process or re-learning what they’ve already learned. That’s not quite like how Yoda taught it in “The Empire Strikes Back” when he said to “unlearn what you have learned” but as Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune finds out, it’s something Boucher expected at the beginning of the season.
Being that one step ahead of things is what helps Boucher be one of the better coaches in the game. His ability to prepare his team and adapt on the fly is what helped the Lightning get to the Eastern Conference finals last season. Now if he can help the Lightning get past the Galactic Empire (Washington) in the Southeast and avoid being wiped out by an Emperor (Tim Thomas?), he’ll be one step ahead of Yoda.
For now, his coaching zen will be best used in helping Tampa Bay navigate through the early doldrums. Perhaps his own version of Luke Skywalker in Steve Stamkos can be the one to lead the way.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 3
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 8
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)