Oct 12, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
When the Wild waived their guy under a black cloud, Eric Nystrom, it seemed like they were piling on after Nystrom caught hell from fans for his part in Taylor Fedun’s accident breaking his leg. A freak accident coupled with Internet outrage followed up by getting sent to the AHL makes for a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.
The Wild did their part to try and help Nystrom out by putting him on recall waivers yesterday. It sure beats getting a set of headphones and a party at the owner’s house at least.
By noon Eastern time, we’ll find out if there’s redemption for Nystrom. If a team claims Nystrom, they’ll get him at half-price ($700,000) for this season and next. At that rate it’s worth it to take a shot on a guy able to play tough, physical hockey on the fourth line. Nystrom has done well in the past in his career in Calgary and had a solid season in Minnesota last year. Things were a bit rougher for him this preseason.
The Star Tribune’s Michael Russo says that if Nystrom does sneak through re-entry waivers, the Wild will have to make a move to get him back on the roster. Chances are, however, that a guy with Nystrom’s game coming through at half-price likely won’t get by everyone.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)