Oct 12, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
When the Wild waived their guy under a black cloud, Eric Nystrom, it seemed like they were piling on after Nystrom caught hell from fans for his part in Taylor Fedun’s accident breaking his leg. A freak accident coupled with Internet outrage followed up by getting sent to the AHL makes for a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.
The Wild did their part to try and help Nystrom out by putting him on recall waivers yesterday. It sure beats getting a set of headphones and a party at the owner’s house at least.
By noon Eastern time, we’ll find out if there’s redemption for Nystrom. If a team claims Nystrom, they’ll get him at half-price ($700,000) for this season and next. At that rate it’s worth it to take a shot on a guy able to play tough, physical hockey on the fourth line. Nystrom has done well in the past in his career in Calgary and had a solid season in Minnesota last year. Things were a bit rougher for him this preseason.
The Star Tribune’s Michael Russo says that if Nystrom does sneak through re-entry waivers, the Wild will have to make a move to get him back on the roster. Chances are, however, that a guy with Nystrom’s game coming through at half-price likely won’t get by everyone.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)