Oct 12, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
When the Wild waived their guy under a black cloud, Eric Nystrom, it seemed like they were piling on after Nystrom caught hell from fans for his part in Taylor Fedun’s accident breaking his leg. A freak accident coupled with Internet outrage followed up by getting sent to the AHL makes for a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.
The Wild did their part to try and help Nystrom out by putting him on recall waivers yesterday. It sure beats getting a set of headphones and a party at the owner’s house at least.
By noon Eastern time, we’ll find out if there’s redemption for Nystrom. If a team claims Nystrom, they’ll get him at half-price ($700,000) for this season and next. At that rate it’s worth it to take a shot on a guy able to play tough, physical hockey on the fourth line. Nystrom has done well in the past in his career in Calgary and had a solid season in Minnesota last year. Things were a bit rougher for him this preseason.
The Star Tribune’s Michael Russo says that if Nystrom does sneak through re-entry waivers, the Wild will have to make a move to get him back on the roster. Chances are, however, that a guy with Nystrom’s game coming through at half-price likely won’t get by everyone.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 4
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 72
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (72)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)