Oct 12, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
When the Wild waived their guy under a black cloud, Eric Nystrom, it seemed like they were piling on after Nystrom caught hell from fans for his part in Taylor Fedun’s accident breaking his leg. A freak accident coupled with Internet outrage followed up by getting sent to the AHL makes for a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.
The Wild did their part to try and help Nystrom out by putting him on recall waivers yesterday. It sure beats getting a set of headphones and a party at the owner’s house at least.
By noon Eastern time, we’ll find out if there’s redemption for Nystrom. If a team claims Nystrom, they’ll get him at half-price ($700,000) for this season and next. At that rate it’s worth it to take a shot on a guy able to play tough, physical hockey on the fourth line. Nystrom has done well in the past in his career in Calgary and had a solid season in Minnesota last year. Things were a bit rougher for him this preseason.
The Star Tribune’s Michael Russo says that if Nystrom does sneak through re-entry waivers, the Wild will have to make a move to get him back on the roster. Chances are, however, that a guy with Nystrom’s game coming through at half-price likely won’t get by everyone.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)