Oct 11, 2011, 12:20 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks face almost a week-long gap between their first and second games, but that might not be enough time for Martin Havlat and Antti Niemi to return. Both figure to be key components of an impressive Sharks roster when they do, but each player remains a work in progress, according to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
It’s unclear if either will be ready for the Sharks’ second regular season game, which takes place on Oct. 15 against the Anaheim Ducks.
Havlat’s involvement in practice should generate a little more optimism than Niemi’s. He was a full participant in an hour-long skate while Niemi didn’t get as many looks as Thomas Greiss and gloriously named goalie Harri Sateri.
Havlat is coming off of shoulder surgery while Niemi had a cyst removed from an undisclosed area. Neither injury is on the high end of predictable problems, so we’ll just have to wait and see with both players. The Sharks looked scary without them during their season opener, but they’ll likely need their full compliment of players to take on more talented teams than the Phoenix Coyotes.
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 13
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 13
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 32
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)