Oct 11, 2011, 12:20 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks face almost a week-long gap between their first and second games, but that might not be enough time for Martin Havlat and Antti Niemi to return. Both figure to be key components of an impressive Sharks roster when they do, but each player remains a work in progress, according to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
It’s unclear if either will be ready for the Sharks’ second regular season game, which takes place on Oct. 15 against the Anaheim Ducks.
Havlat’s involvement in practice should generate a little more optimism than Niemi’s. He was a full participant in an hour-long skate while Niemi didn’t get as many looks as Thomas Greiss and gloriously named goalie Harri Sateri.
Havlat is coming off of shoulder surgery while Niemi had a cyst removed from an undisclosed area. Neither injury is on the high end of predictable problems, so we’ll just have to wait and see with both players. The Sharks looked scary without them during their season opener, but they’ll likely need their full compliment of players to take on more talented teams than the Phoenix Coyotes.
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 0
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 25
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)