Oct 11, 2011, 5:26 PM EST
Even when Sean Avery isn’t around, the guy manages to be a pest to someone. By accepting his demotion to the AHL’s Connecticut Whale*, the New York Rangers and Dallas Stars’ $1.9 million cap responsibilities dissolve.
That’s great news for the wild-spending Rangers, but the Stars face a serious worry of going below the salary cap floor once Adam Pardy is taken off the injured reserve. The Stars might have to spend more than $1 million merely to plug a salary hole while still paying half of Avery’s salary. Avery’s contract really is the “gift” that keeps giving for the Stars.
Here’s a quick rundown of the other waiver wire moves from Wednesday, via TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
- The St. Louis Blues must deal with yet another injury to Carlo Colaiacovo, who was placed on the injured reserve. They claimed Taylor Chorney to plug the gap to an extent.
- The Nashville Predators essentially changed their enforcer today. They claimed Brian McGrattan off waivers from the Anaheim Ducks and placed Zach Stortini on waivers as a result.
- Three players cleared waivers. Boston Bruins Andrew Bodnarchuk and Josh Hennessey cleared waivers along with Jeff Deslauriers of the Anaheim Ducks.
So that’s it for today’s waiver wire moves.
* – Interestingly enough, Avery and Wade Redden will make more money because they won’t pay escrow in the minors. That must make it at least a bit less soul-crushing to be in that situation, right?
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)