Oct 11, 2011, 5:26 PM EST
Even when Sean Avery isn’t around, the guy manages to be a pest to someone. By accepting his demotion to the AHL’s Connecticut Whale*, the New York Rangers and Dallas Stars’ $1.9 million cap responsibilities dissolve.
That’s great news for the wild-spending Rangers, but the Stars face a serious worry of going below the salary cap floor once Adam Pardy is taken off the injured reserve. The Stars might have to spend more than $1 million merely to plug a salary hole while still paying half of Avery’s salary. Avery’s contract really is the “gift” that keeps giving for the Stars.
Here’s a quick rundown of the other waiver wire moves from Wednesday, via TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
- The St. Louis Blues must deal with yet another injury to Carlo Colaiacovo, who was placed on the injured reserve. They claimed Taylor Chorney to plug the gap to an extent.
- The Nashville Predators essentially changed their enforcer today. They claimed Brian McGrattan off waivers from the Anaheim Ducks and placed Zach Stortini on waivers as a result.
- Three players cleared waivers. Boston Bruins Andrew Bodnarchuk and Josh Hennessey cleared waivers along with Jeff Deslauriers of the Anaheim Ducks.
So that’s it for today’s waiver wire moves.
* – Interestingly enough, Avery and Wade Redden will make more money because they won’t pay escrow in the minors. That must make it at least a bit less soul-crushing to be in that situation, right?
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 38
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)