Oct 11, 2011, 5:26 PM EDT
Even when Sean Avery isn’t around, the guy manages to be a pest to someone. By accepting his demotion to the AHL’s Connecticut Whale*, the New York Rangers and Dallas Stars’ $1.9 million cap responsibilities dissolve.
That’s great news for the wild-spending Rangers, but the Stars face a serious worry of going below the salary cap floor once Adam Pardy is taken off the injured reserve. The Stars might have to spend more than $1 million merely to plug a salary hole while still paying half of Avery’s salary. Avery’s contract really is the “gift” that keeps giving for the Stars.
Here’s a quick rundown of the other waiver wire moves from Wednesday, via TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
- The St. Louis Blues must deal with yet another injury to Carlo Colaiacovo, who was placed on the injured reserve. They claimed Taylor Chorney to plug the gap to an extent.
- The Nashville Predators essentially changed their enforcer today. They claimed Brian McGrattan off waivers from the Anaheim Ducks and placed Zach Stortini on waivers as a result.
- Three players cleared waivers. Boston Bruins Andrew Bodnarchuk and Josh Hennessey cleared waivers along with Jeff Deslauriers of the Anaheim Ducks.
So that’s it for today’s waiver wire moves.
* – Interestingly enough, Avery and Wade Redden will make more money because they won’t pay escrow in the minors. That must make it at least a bit less soul-crushing to be in that situation, right?
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 30
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 27
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)