Oct 11, 2011, 11:16 AM EST
Just days after I made an offhand remark about Rich Peverley being one of the NHL’s best under-the-radar bargains, the Boston Bruins made sure that he’ll be very noticeable next season. The team signed Peverley to a three-year contract extension that Bruce Garrioch reports is worth $3.25 million per year.
That works out to $9.75 million overall. Peverley’s going to enjoy almost a $2 million per year bump in average annual salary, although the exact load-out of the contract isn’t clear at this time.
The former Atlanta Thrashers forward hasn’t put together jaw-dropping stats in his career, but he’s been a fantastic fit since being traded to Boston for Blake Wheeler. The 29 year old forward is versatile enough to play on just about any line and can switch between winger and center with ease.
This signing follows a pattern for GM Peter Chiarelli: it seems like he doesn’t want to wait to re-sign players in contract years, which might stem from trading Phil Kessel after fruitless negotiations. Zdeno Chara and Patrice Bergeron barely got into their final years before Chiarelli signed them up; unfortunately for the Bruins’ checkbooks, the same thing also happened with Marc Savard. Still, it’s a proactive practice and the Bruins probably made the right move by signing Peverley before he puts together what could be an expensive career year.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 36
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)