Oct 11, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Cory Schneider‘s strong performance – including a crucial stop on a penalty shot – will be the big story of the Vancouver Canucks’ 3-2 win against the Columbus Blue Jackets. Still, that won’t linger in the minds of both teams (not to mention their fans) as much as Marc Methot’s hit on Henrik Sedin.
Kevin Bieksa essentially admitted that Methot will have to answer for that check when the two sides meet again.
“Hank’s a tough guy and he’ll take that for the team. But we’ll remember that.”
In case you’re wondering, the teams face each other three more times: Nov. 29, Dec. 13 and March 17. It’s safe to say that Methot’s evenings will be usually stressful on those occasions.
The Canucks need to make sure that this doesn’t become a trend among their opponents, though. This won’t be an easy start for Vancouver, but trying to play without Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler is a scary proposition. They earned their first win of the season on Columbus Day, but they might want to look at the big picture (i.e. “You will suffer intense pain if you take liberties with our stars”) if something similar happens in the future.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)