Oct 11, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Cory Schneider‘s strong performance – including a crucial stop on a penalty shot – will be the big story of the Vancouver Canucks’ 3-2 win against the Columbus Blue Jackets. Still, that won’t linger in the minds of both teams (not to mention their fans) as much as Marc Methot’s hit on Henrik Sedin.
Kevin Bieksa essentially admitted that Methot will have to answer for that check when the two sides meet again.
“Hank’s a tough guy and he’ll take that for the team. But we’ll remember that.”
In case you’re wondering, the teams face each other three more times: Nov. 29, Dec. 13 and March 17. It’s safe to say that Methot’s evenings will be usually stressful on those occasions.
The Canucks need to make sure that this doesn’t become a trend among their opponents, though. This won’t be an easy start for Vancouver, but trying to play without Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler is a scary proposition. They earned their first win of the season on Columbus Day, but they might want to look at the big picture (i.e. “You will suffer intense pain if you take liberties with our stars”) if something similar happens in the future.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)