Oct 11, 2011, 6:14 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens stomped all over the Winnipeg Jets’ party on Sunday, but it came at the cost of Michael Cammalleri and Jaroslav Spacek‘s health. It’s now becoming clearer how long the Habs will be without Cammalleri and Spacek.
Considering how scary an unlucky skate blade injury can be, Cammalleri’s situation is surprisingly tolerable. The Canadian Press reports that he’ll only miss 10-14 days from a cut that thankfully didn’t damage any muscle or tendons. Cammalleri will check in with doctors on the weekend to make sure everything’s going as planned, though.
The news is slightly worse for Montreal defenseman Spacek, though. He could miss up to three weeks from what many believe is a rib injury but the Habs will only call “an upper body injury.”
Losing an electric scorer like Cammalleri hurts, but he’s had enough struggles with health problems that it isn’t exactly out of the ordinary. Besides, the Habs’ biggest issues are on an injury-ravaged blueline. Spacek joins the injured defensive ranks of Andrei Markov and Chris Campoli.
This tough situation will test the limits of Jacques Martin’s system and put the onus on players like P.K. Subban and Carey Price to shoulder more and more of the burden. The one bright side is that six of their next seven games take place in Montreal, although the possibility for blown opportunities could make those injuries sting that much more.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)