Oct 11, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens stomped all over the Winnipeg Jets’ party on Sunday, but it came at the cost of Michael Cammalleri and Jaroslav Spacek‘s health. It’s now becoming clearer how long the Habs will be without Cammalleri and Spacek.
Considering how scary an unlucky skate blade injury can be, Cammalleri’s situation is surprisingly tolerable. The Canadian Press reports that he’ll only miss 10-14 days from a cut that thankfully didn’t damage any muscle or tendons. Cammalleri will check in with doctors on the weekend to make sure everything’s going as planned, though.
The news is slightly worse for Montreal defenseman Spacek, though. He could miss up to three weeks from what many believe is a rib injury but the Habs will only call “an upper body injury.”
Losing an electric scorer like Cammalleri hurts, but he’s had enough struggles with health problems that it isn’t exactly out of the ordinary. Besides, the Habs’ biggest issues are on an injury-ravaged blueline. Spacek joins the injured defensive ranks of Andrei Markov and Chris Campoli.
This tough situation will test the limits of Jacques Martin’s system and put the onus on players like P.K. Subban and Carey Price to shoulder more and more of the burden. The one bright side is that six of their next seven games take place in Montreal, although the possibility for blown opportunities could make those injuries sting that much more.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)