Oct 11, 2011, 6:14 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens stomped all over the Winnipeg Jets’ party on Sunday, but it came at the cost of Michael Cammalleri and Jaroslav Spacek‘s health. It’s now becoming clearer how long the Habs will be without Cammalleri and Spacek.
Considering how scary an unlucky skate blade injury can be, Cammalleri’s situation is surprisingly tolerable. The Canadian Press reports that he’ll only miss 10-14 days from a cut that thankfully didn’t damage any muscle or tendons. Cammalleri will check in with doctors on the weekend to make sure everything’s going as planned, though.
The news is slightly worse for Montreal defenseman Spacek, though. He could miss up to three weeks from what many believe is a rib injury but the Habs will only call “an upper body injury.”
Losing an electric scorer like Cammalleri hurts, but he’s had enough struggles with health problems that it isn’t exactly out of the ordinary. Besides, the Habs’ biggest issues are on an injury-ravaged blueline. Spacek joins the injured defensive ranks of Andrei Markov and Chris Campoli.
This tough situation will test the limits of Jacques Martin’s system and put the onus on players like P.K. Subban and Carey Price to shoulder more and more of the burden. The one bright side is that six of their next seven games take place in Montreal, although the possibility for blown opportunities could make those injuries sting that much more.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 55
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12