Oct 11, 2011, 6:14 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens stomped all over the Winnipeg Jets’ party on Sunday, but it came at the cost of Michael Cammalleri and Jaroslav Spacek‘s health. It’s now becoming clearer how long the Habs will be without Cammalleri and Spacek.
Considering how scary an unlucky skate blade injury can be, Cammalleri’s situation is surprisingly tolerable. The Canadian Press reports that he’ll only miss 10-14 days from a cut that thankfully didn’t damage any muscle or tendons. Cammalleri will check in with doctors on the weekend to make sure everything’s going as planned, though.
The news is slightly worse for Montreal defenseman Spacek, though. He could miss up to three weeks from what many believe is a rib injury but the Habs will only call “an upper body injury.”
Losing an electric scorer like Cammalleri hurts, but he’s had enough struggles with health problems that it isn’t exactly out of the ordinary. Besides, the Habs’ biggest issues are on an injury-ravaged blueline. Spacek joins the injured defensive ranks of Andrei Markov and Chris Campoli.
This tough situation will test the limits of Jacques Martin’s system and put the onus on players like P.K. Subban and Carey Price to shoulder more and more of the burden. The one bright side is that six of their next seven games take place in Montreal, although the possibility for blown opportunities could make those injuries sting that much more.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)