Oct 10, 2011, 6:25 PM EDT
When the Flyers acquired Wayne Simmonds this summer, the one guy that didn’t figure to see his playing time get affected by that was Scott Hartnell. After all, Simmonds came over as a right wing and Hartnell plays primarily on the left side. Things are changing in Philly, however, as the Flyers’ depth is giving Peter Laviolette reasons to tinker with the lineup all over the ice.
Simmonds has been taking Hartnell’s time on the power play and earning the right to help on the man advantage thanks to his aggressive play up front. For those hoping Hartnell can be a 25-30 goal-scorer again this season, you might want to change your focus on who to watch for the time being.
Laviolette says that the Flyers’ depth allows him to switch guys around and in and out of the special teams situations as needed. We’ve seen rookie Sean Couturier start the year killing penalties (with major praise from Laviolette), a role you generally don’t see 18 year-old players filling.
With the host of new faces in Philadelphia you knew there were going to be some different faces doing different things, but these sorts of changes are a bit much to wrap your head around to start the season. With the Flyers off to a great start going 2-0-0 including a shutout of the Devils on Saturday night, perhaps Laviolette is pulling the right strings.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)