Oct 10, 2011, 9:01 PM EDT
Columbus Day falls in that awkward category of holidays (and no, this isn’t going to devolve into a discussion about the explorer’s historical influence). Some people get that day off – especially when you consider the fact that it’s also Canada’s Thanksgiving – but it’s not a blanket holiday for everyone.
For that reason, there’s probably a sizable audience of hockey fans who were left re-loading scores pages to see how their favorite teams fared today. While it’s not quite the same as actually seeing all 60 minutes of a given game, hopefully these highlights will give you an idea of what happened in those unusually timed contests.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5