Oct 10, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
It’s OK to pass judgment on the Avalanche trading a first round pick for Semyon Varlamov after just his second game, right? Varlamov stopped 30 shots in shutting out the Boston Bruins 1-0. Through two games, Varlamov’s been busy but good. He stopped 36 shots in a 3-0 loss to Detroit on Saturday night, but came up huge against the defending champions today.
Making the game stand up even more is that his teammates could only get one goal past Bruins starter Tuukka Rask in 36 shots. Only Milan Hejduk‘s late third period goal eluded the Bruins backup but it was enough to give Varlamov his first win and shutout of the season.
Colorado is a team that’s either going to sneak into the Western Conference playoffs or finish in the draft lottery. If the latter happens, the Washington Capitals will be the beneficiaries of a high draft pick. Just what the great Caps need, a potential top-ten pick. For now, if Varlamov can turn in a few more performances like that, giving away a high draft pick won’t be a big worry for Colorado and winning in the playoffs will be their main concern.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)