Oct 10, 2011, 4:41 PM EST
It’s OK to pass judgment on the Avalanche trading a first round pick for Semyon Varlamov after just his second game, right? Varlamov stopped 30 shots in shutting out the Boston Bruins 1-0. Through two games, Varlamov’s been busy but good. He stopped 36 shots in a 3-0 loss to Detroit on Saturday night, but came up huge against the defending champions today.
Making the game stand up even more is that his teammates could only get one goal past Bruins starter Tuukka Rask in 36 shots. Only Milan Hejduk‘s late third period goal eluded the Bruins backup but it was enough to give Varlamov his first win and shutout of the season.
Colorado is a team that’s either going to sneak into the Western Conference playoffs or finish in the draft lottery. If the latter happens, the Washington Capitals will be the beneficiaries of a high draft pick. Just what the great Caps need, a potential top-ten pick. For now, if Varlamov can turn in a few more performances like that, giving away a high draft pick won’t be a big worry for Colorado and winning in the playoffs will be their main concern.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)