Oct 10, 2011, 4:41 PM EST
It’s OK to pass judgment on the Avalanche trading a first round pick for Semyon Varlamov after just his second game, right? Varlamov stopped 30 shots in shutting out the Boston Bruins 1-0. Through two games, Varlamov’s been busy but good. He stopped 36 shots in a 3-0 loss to Detroit on Saturday night, but came up huge against the defending champions today.
Making the game stand up even more is that his teammates could only get one goal past Bruins starter Tuukka Rask in 36 shots. Only Milan Hejduk‘s late third period goal eluded the Bruins backup but it was enough to give Varlamov his first win and shutout of the season.
Colorado is a team that’s either going to sneak into the Western Conference playoffs or finish in the draft lottery. If the latter happens, the Washington Capitals will be the beneficiaries of a high draft pick. Just what the great Caps need, a potential top-ten pick. For now, if Varlamov can turn in a few more performances like that, giving away a high draft pick won’t be a big worry for Colorado and winning in the playoffs will be their main concern.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 25
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 8
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)