Oct 10, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
It’s OK to pass judgment on the Avalanche trading a first round pick for Semyon Varlamov after just his second game, right? Varlamov stopped 30 shots in shutting out the Boston Bruins 1-0. Through two games, Varlamov’s been busy but good. He stopped 36 shots in a 3-0 loss to Detroit on Saturday night, but came up huge against the defending champions today.
Making the game stand up even more is that his teammates could only get one goal past Bruins starter Tuukka Rask in 36 shots. Only Milan Hejduk‘s late third period goal eluded the Bruins backup but it was enough to give Varlamov his first win and shutout of the season.
Colorado is a team that’s either going to sneak into the Western Conference playoffs or finish in the draft lottery. If the latter happens, the Washington Capitals will be the beneficiaries of a high draft pick. Just what the great Caps need, a potential top-ten pick. For now, if Varlamov can turn in a few more performances like that, giving away a high draft pick won’t be a big worry for Colorado and winning in the playoffs will be their main concern.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)