Oct 10, 2011, 11:52 PM EDT
Capitals fans were quick to get on him – even handing out a “Bronx cheer” following a routine save in the third period – but Vokoun might be his biggest critic. He didn’t mince words while discussing a night in which he allowed five goals on 28 shots.
“It was probably my worst game in five years,” Vokoun said. “It just shows how strong this team is. They literally won tonight without goaltending.”
It was certainly up there, although he did make some big saves in overtime and during the shootout. Vokoun allowed five goals (again on 28 shots) in an October loss to the Ottawa Senators last season and had some bloopers in 2009-10.
The thing is, it’s doubtful that Vokoun was lit up on a larger stage with the Florida Panthers and it’s unlikely that even those performances made him look so bad. Combine those less-than-stellar optics with his far-from-firm grip on the Capitals’ starting job and it’s obvious that Vokoun needs to bounce back soon.
At least he’s not playing the role of an oblivious struggling goalie, though. Vokoun will likely face his fair share of tough nights in the playoffs, so this is a good dress rehearsal for that big-time pressure.
Give Vokoun credit for being frank about his struggles, but what really matters is how he responds to this first speed bump. Bruce Boudreau faces the tough choice of when, exactly, he gets to attempt that first rebound, though.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 27
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)