Oct 10, 2011, 11:52 PM EDT
Capitals fans were quick to get on him – even handing out a “Bronx cheer” following a routine save in the third period – but Vokoun might be his biggest critic. He didn’t mince words while discussing a night in which he allowed five goals on 28 shots.
“It was probably my worst game in five years,” Vokoun said. “It just shows how strong this team is. They literally won tonight without goaltending.”
It was certainly up there, although he did make some big saves in overtime and during the shootout. Vokoun allowed five goals (again on 28 shots) in an October loss to the Ottawa Senators last season and had some bloopers in 2009-10.
The thing is, it’s doubtful that Vokoun was lit up on a larger stage with the Florida Panthers and it’s unlikely that even those performances made him look so bad. Combine those less-than-stellar optics with his far-from-firm grip on the Capitals’ starting job and it’s obvious that Vokoun needs to bounce back soon.
At least he’s not playing the role of an oblivious struggling goalie, though. Vokoun will likely face his fair share of tough nights in the playoffs, so this is a good dress rehearsal for that big-time pressure.
Give Vokoun credit for being frank about his struggles, but what really matters is how he responds to this first speed bump. Bruce Boudreau faces the tough choice of when, exactly, he gets to attempt that first rebound, though.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)