Oct 10, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
Things didn’t start out well at all, especially for Kovalchuk, who was on the ice for all three of the Philadelphia Flyers’ goals in a 3-0 loss Saturday. Things looked a lot better for both star wingers today, though, as they powered the Devils to a 4-2 win over the troubled Carolina Hurricanes.
Kovalchuk scored the game-winner and added two assists while Parise scored two goals of his own, while both forwards registered four shots on goal. Those are the kinds of numbers that the top-heavy Devils hope to see – especially at home.
That being said, they took it to a flawed Hurricanes team that has essentially the same depth issues that the Devils will struggle with. People with short memories might count New Jersey out, but this team finds ways to get to the postseason in most cases. Fair or not, it all comes down to Parise and Kovalchuk in 2011-12, though.
- Video: Lundqvist snares Stamkos’ scary shot 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 5
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 25
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)