Oct 10, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
Things didn’t start out well at all, especially for Kovalchuk, who was on the ice for all three of the Philadelphia Flyers’ goals in a 3-0 loss Saturday. Things looked a lot better for both star wingers today, though, as they powered the Devils to a 4-2 win over the troubled Carolina Hurricanes.
Kovalchuk scored the game-winner and added two assists while Parise scored two goals of his own, while both forwards registered four shots on goal. Those are the kinds of numbers that the top-heavy Devils hope to see – especially at home.
That being said, they took it to a flawed Hurricanes team that has essentially the same depth issues that the Devils will struggle with. People with short memories might count New Jersey out, but this team finds ways to get to the postseason in most cases. Fair or not, it all comes down to Parise and Kovalchuk in 2011-12, though.
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 36
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 16
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 58
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 63
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1