Oct 10, 2011, 7:07 PM EST
For quite some time, the Washington Capitals rolled through a laughable Southeast Division without breaking a sweat. That seemed to change last season, as the upstart Tampa Bay Lightning held the top spot during parts of 2010-11 until the Caps outlasted them.
Not surprisingly, Bolts head coach Guy Boucher wants to develop the Lightning into a fixture in the Southeast – and therefore, a thorn in the Capitals side. CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley captured this juicy little bit of bulletin board material from Boucher.
“Last year we showed that we were the new kids on the block for them and they are used to being first,” Boucher told the Tampa Tribune. “We were kind of in their way as a thorn in their side and this year we are planning on being a thorn in both sides, hopefully.’’
That quote demands not one but two awful pop culture references. The first one is obvious (New Kids on the Block/Donnie Wahlberg jokes), while the second should revolve around the horrid hair metal ballad “Every Rose has its thorn.” At least, that’s the way I read that one …
Anyway, the Lightning have some pieces to be a thorn in at least one of the Capitals’ sides for the foreseeable future. Martin St. Louis still has plenty of life left in his game while Tampa Bay boasts young star Steven Stamkos and potential franchise blueliner Victor Hedman.
Still, the Lightning must prove they can stick around like the Caps have, even if they’ve already reached a higher peak in the postseason. The two teams will provide the first taste of how that rivalry will shake out on Versus tonight.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)