Oct 10, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Count Jonathan Huberdeau into the fold in Florida. The 2011 first round pick, third overall, is officially a member of the Panthers after signing his three-year, entry-level deal with the team. Huberdeau impressed a bit in training camp, but the Panthers opted to send him back to junior hockey before even having a deal worked out.
The Panthers have gotten heat in the past with 2010 first round pick Erik Gudbranson in not getting a deal done last year, but this situation was much different. While Gudbranson could’ve played with the Panthers last season, Huberdeau wasn’t ready to be in the NHL yet this season.
With one more year in junior hockey, Huberdeau will show up in Panthers camp next season ready to be an NHL stud and challenge for the Calder Trophy. Florida will also have a pair of forwards due to be free agents after the season including Kris Versteeg. Expect Huberdeau to challenge to be a top-six forward in Florida next season and to have coach Kevin Dineen and GM Dale Tallon to be smiling widely about that.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)