Oct 10, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Count Jonathan Huberdeau into the fold in Florida. The 2011 first round pick, third overall, is officially a member of the Panthers after signing his three-year, entry-level deal with the team. Huberdeau impressed a bit in training camp, but the Panthers opted to send him back to junior hockey before even having a deal worked out.
The Panthers have gotten heat in the past with 2010 first round pick Erik Gudbranson in not getting a deal done last year, but this situation was much different. While Gudbranson could’ve played with the Panthers last season, Huberdeau wasn’t ready to be in the NHL yet this season.
With one more year in junior hockey, Huberdeau will show up in Panthers camp next season ready to be an NHL stud and challenge for the Calder Trophy. Florida will also have a pair of forwards due to be free agents after the season including Kris Versteeg. Expect Huberdeau to challenge to be a top-six forward in Florida next season and to have coach Kevin Dineen and GM Dale Tallon to be smiling widely about that.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)