Oct 10, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
If you think the job market is tough on regular shmoes, here’s a sign that it’s tough on pro hockey players.
Craig Rivet started last season as captain of the Buffalo Sabres and after spending all summer looking for a new NHL job after not being re-signed by Columbus, Rivet has found another hockey job… In the ECHL.
The Elmira Jackals signed Rivet to play at the NHL’s version of AA-level hockey and expect him to be in the lineup this weekend. It’s not the first time we’ve seen NHL players take a job with another league. We see guys jump to the KHL or other European pro leagues all the time. Taking a job with a low-level minor league team, however, is rare.
For Rivet it shows how quickly things can go off the rails. After all, the guy was playing in the NHL just last season. Granted he was playing for the Blue Jackets, but that’s still NHL-level talent to keep up with. It’s a dramatic fall out of the top league but for Rivet, it’s a chance for him to keep playing and stay in shape in hopes of getting another look from a NHL team.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)