Oct 10, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
If you think the job market is tough on regular shmoes, here’s a sign that it’s tough on pro hockey players.
Craig Rivet started last season as captain of the Buffalo Sabres and after spending all summer looking for a new NHL job after not being re-signed by Columbus, Rivet has found another hockey job… In the ECHL.
The Elmira Jackals signed Rivet to play at the NHL’s version of AA-level hockey and expect him to be in the lineup this weekend. It’s not the first time we’ve seen NHL players take a job with another league. We see guys jump to the KHL or other European pro leagues all the time. Taking a job with a low-level minor league team, however, is rare.
For Rivet it shows how quickly things can go off the rails. After all, the guy was playing in the NHL just last season. Granted he was playing for the Blue Jackets, but that’s still NHL-level talent to keep up with. It’s a dramatic fall out of the top league but for Rivet, it’s a chance for him to keep playing and stay in shape in hopes of getting another look from a NHL team.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)