Oct 9, 2011, 7:56 PM EST
Not all stories end like a storybook should. For the Winnipeg Jets’ first NHL game in the city since 1996, the Montreal Canadiens did a job showing the fans that there’s still a lot to hope for this season as the Habs slammed the Jets 5-1.
Jets starting goalie Ondrej Pavelec took the beatdown as he gave up a goal in the first to Mike Cammalleri to quiet the crowd. Things wouldn’t get any easier from there as Tomas Plekanec scored in the second to make it 2-0.
Winnipeg would get one goal, however, as Nik Antropov would crash the net and score the Jets’ first NHL goal in Winnipeg since Norm Maciver did in Game 6 of the 1996 playoffs. Carey Price played strong in goal for Montreal stuffing the Jets’ attack.
Jets fans would salute the team with a standing ovation as the final seconds ticked away. That’s a luxury the Jets’ players shouldn’t get used to though. Losing will only be tolerated for so long. If there was a goat to be found in this game for Winnipeg it was Johnny Oduya. Oduya had turnovers that led to the Canadiens first two goals.
He and the rest of the team should embrace the good feelings while they’re flowing freely in Manitoba. While the Jets make for a great story for Winnipeg, the Jets don’t shape up to be a very good team.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 29
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)