Oct 9, 2011, 7:56 PM EDT
Not all stories end like a storybook should. For the Winnipeg Jets’ first NHL game in the city since 1996, the Montreal Canadiens did a job showing the fans that there’s still a lot to hope for this season as the Habs slammed the Jets 5-1.
Jets starting goalie Ondrej Pavelec took the beatdown as he gave up a goal in the first to Mike Cammalleri to quiet the crowd. Things wouldn’t get any easier from there as Tomas Plekanec scored in the second to make it 2-0.
Winnipeg would get one goal, however, as Nik Antropov would crash the net and score the Jets’ first NHL goal in Winnipeg since Norm Maciver did in Game 6 of the 1996 playoffs. Carey Price played strong in goal for Montreal stuffing the Jets’ attack.
Jets fans would salute the team with a standing ovation as the final seconds ticked away. That’s a luxury the Jets’ players shouldn’t get used to though. Losing will only be tolerated for so long. If there was a goat to be found in this game for Winnipeg it was Johnny Oduya. Oduya had turnovers that led to the Canadiens first two goals.
He and the rest of the team should embrace the good feelings while they’re flowing freely in Manitoba. While the Jets make for a great story for Winnipeg, the Jets don’t shape up to be a very good team.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)