Oct 9, 2011, 7:56 PM EST
Not all stories end like a storybook should. For the Winnipeg Jets’ first NHL game in the city since 1996, the Montreal Canadiens did a job showing the fans that there’s still a lot to hope for this season as the Habs slammed the Jets 5-1.
Jets starting goalie Ondrej Pavelec took the beatdown as he gave up a goal in the first to Mike Cammalleri to quiet the crowd. Things wouldn’t get any easier from there as Tomas Plekanec scored in the second to make it 2-0.
Winnipeg would get one goal, however, as Nik Antropov would crash the net and score the Jets’ first NHL goal in Winnipeg since Norm Maciver did in Game 6 of the 1996 playoffs. Carey Price played strong in goal for Montreal stuffing the Jets’ attack.
Jets fans would salute the team with a standing ovation as the final seconds ticked away. That’s a luxury the Jets’ players shouldn’t get used to though. Losing will only be tolerated for so long. If there was a goat to be found in this game for Winnipeg it was Johnny Oduya. Oduya had turnovers that led to the Canadiens first two goals.
He and the rest of the team should embrace the good feelings while they’re flowing freely in Manitoba. While the Jets make for a great story for Winnipeg, the Jets don’t shape up to be a very good team.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 16
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)