Oct 9, 2011, 12:20 PM EST
After just two games, Pittsburgh Penguins pest Matt Cooke was involved in another head shot. This time around, however, Cooke was the victim.
Calgary Flames defensemen Cory Sarich delivered the hit in question, which many believe qualifies as a an illegal check. Sarich accused Cooke of embellishing the impact, but the NHL shouldn’t just look the other way if something over-the-line happens but a player keeps playing regular shifts.
In fact, considering the way teams are treating “The Quiet Room” like a kind suggestion rather than a hard rule, Cooke’s reaction shouldn’t stop the league from looking at the hit. (If it feels that the check went over the line, of course.)
It’s still relatively early on this Sunday of light action, so it’s possible that Brendan Shanahan will look this over. At this point, there’s no official word regarding any discipline toward Sarich.
Whether you think it’s karma in action or not, an illegal hit is an illegal hit. What do you think, though? Did Sarich make Cooke’s head the principal point of contact? Let us know in the comments.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)