Oct 9, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
After just two games, Pittsburgh Penguins pest Matt Cooke was involved in another head shot. This time around, however, Cooke was the victim.
Calgary Flames defensemen Cory Sarich delivered the hit in question, which many believe qualifies as a an illegal check. Sarich accused Cooke of embellishing the impact, but the NHL shouldn’t just look the other way if something over-the-line happens but a player keeps playing regular shifts.
In fact, considering the way teams are treating “The Quiet Room” like a kind suggestion rather than a hard rule, Cooke’s reaction shouldn’t stop the league from looking at the hit. (If it feels that the check went over the line, of course.)
It’s still relatively early on this Sunday of light action, so it’s possible that Brendan Shanahan will look this over. At this point, there’s no official word regarding any discipline toward Sarich.
Whether you think it’s karma in action or not, an illegal hit is an illegal hit. What do you think, though? Did Sarich make Cooke’s head the principal point of contact? Let us know in the comments.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 16
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)