Oct 9, 2011, 9:01 PM EDT
The Canadiens’ 5-1 win over Winnipeg came at a price as Cammalleri was cut just above his knee thanks to an arrant Yannick Weber skate blade. Losing Cammalleri for periods of time is something Montreal’s dealt with since he’s joined the team, but seeing it happen so soon is a kick in the teeth.
The Habs also lost defenseman Jaroslav Spacek to a rib injury after taking a big hit from Evander Kane along the boards. Spacek left the game after the hit and did not return. Canadiens staff reported after the game that they don’t feel either injury is serious. Mike Johnson of NHL Network reported that Cammalleri could miss just two weeks of action. We’ll see if that’s the case.
Montreal’s defense has taken a beating already this season as Andrei Markov is slow in recovering from offseason knee surgery and his replacement Chris Campoli is out for an extended time with a leg injury. New guys Raphael Diaz and Alexei Yemelin have been forced into action in their stead.
The Habs won’t get to pick on the Jets every night so they’ll have to hope Diaz, Yemelin, and Weber can help take care of business until the others are back healthy. There’s nothing less encouraging than having injury problems right off the bat in a new season.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 18
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 33
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 58
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (59)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)