Oct 9, 2011, 9:01 PM EDT
The Canadiens’ 5-1 win over Winnipeg came at a price as Cammalleri was cut just above his knee thanks to an arrant Yannick Weber skate blade. Losing Cammalleri for periods of time is something Montreal’s dealt with since he’s joined the team, but seeing it happen so soon is a kick in the teeth.
The Habs also lost defenseman Jaroslav Spacek to a rib injury after taking a big hit from Evander Kane along the boards. Spacek left the game after the hit and did not return. Canadiens staff reported after the game that they don’t feel either injury is serious. Mike Johnson of NHL Network reported that Cammalleri could miss just two weeks of action. We’ll see if that’s the case.
Montreal’s defense has taken a beating already this season as Andrei Markov is slow in recovering from offseason knee surgery and his replacement Chris Campoli is out for an extended time with a leg injury. New guys Raphael Diaz and Alexei Yemelin have been forced into action in their stead.
The Habs won’t get to pick on the Jets every night so they’ll have to hope Diaz, Yemelin, and Weber can help take care of business until the others are back healthy. There’s nothing less encouraging than having injury problems right off the bat in a new season.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)