Oct 9, 2011, 6:45 PM EDT
In a somewhat surprising move, the NHL decided to suspend Pierre-Marc Bouchard two games for high-sticking Matt Calvert, according to Nick Kypreos. The Minnesota Wild were adamant that it was an unfortunate accident, while the Columbus Blue Jackets thought there was a clear intent to injure.
This suspension will keep Bouchard out of two Wild road games: at the New York Islanders (Oct. 10) and against the Ottawa Senators (Oct. 11). The NHL reveals that Bouchard will forfeit $44,108.10 for the missed time.
Minor quibbles aside, Brendan Shanahan is bringing some sense of order to the NHL’s discipline system. They can’t all be gold records, though, so consider this Shanny’s “Dirty Work.”
Honestly, I thought that the referees handled the situation properly by calling it a double-minor. That mistake put his team in an immediate bind and was a pretty severe in-game penalty for Bouchard. In many cases, suspension-worthy incidents don’t hurt the offending team in the moment, yet Bouchard’s was one of those exceptions. A minor fine would have been OK with me just to reinforce the need to be careful with one’s stick, but a two-game Shanaban seems a little excessive.
Michael Russo captures Bouchard’s argument, which apparently fell on deaf ears. How do you feel about the decision? Here’s the best video I’ve seen of the incident so far; we’ll provide Shanahan’s video explanation (likely with clearer footage) whenever it becomes available.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)