Oct 9, 2011, 6:45 PM EDT
In a somewhat surprising move, the NHL decided to suspend Pierre-Marc Bouchard two games for high-sticking Matt Calvert, according to Nick Kypreos. The Minnesota Wild were adamant that it was an unfortunate accident, while the Columbus Blue Jackets thought there was a clear intent to injure.
This suspension will keep Bouchard out of two Wild road games: at the New York Islanders (Oct. 10) and against the Ottawa Senators (Oct. 11). The NHL reveals that Bouchard will forfeit $44,108.10 for the missed time.
Minor quibbles aside, Brendan Shanahan is bringing some sense of order to the NHL’s discipline system. They can’t all be gold records, though, so consider this Shanny’s “Dirty Work.”
Honestly, I thought that the referees handled the situation properly by calling it a double-minor. That mistake put his team in an immediate bind and was a pretty severe in-game penalty for Bouchard. In many cases, suspension-worthy incidents don’t hurt the offending team in the moment, yet Bouchard’s was one of those exceptions. A minor fine would have been OK with me just to reinforce the need to be careful with one’s stick, but a two-game Shanaban seems a little excessive.
Michael Russo captures Bouchard’s argument, which apparently fell on deaf ears. How do you feel about the decision? Here’s the best video I’ve seen of the incident so far; we’ll provide Shanahan’s video explanation (likely with clearer footage) whenever it becomes available.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)