Oct 8, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
When it was announced that Michal Neuvirth was getting the start on opening night over Tomas Vokoun, it stunned just about everyone. You can include Vokoun in that group of people surprised by it and that can’t exactly bode well for him and he voiced his confusion about it.
Vokoun says not starting the first game is something he’s not comfortable with and he certainly didn’t expect it to happen given that he was brought in to be the Caps’ starting goalie.
Neuvirth’s strong preseason record and strong play in goal helped Bruce Boudreau decide to give him the start tonight, but for a team with Stanley Cup aspirations, you’d think giving the guy you brought in to win you the Cup would at least get the nod at home for the first game of the season.
Not so much, however. For Vokoun, it’s his first big test of mental toughness and while it’s hard enough for a goalie to deal with opponents, having to deal with a situation on your own team makes for a different brand of struggle. Vokoun has a history of rough starts to the season, he’ll need to avoid one this year to keep from giving Neuvirth the chance to start even more games.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)