Oct 8, 2011, 12:38 PM EDT
Mike Commodore‘s season in Detroit is off to a bad start as the Commodore 64 (er… 22) is headed to injured reserve with a bruised MCL and could miss up to three weeks. In his place, Brendan Smith gets the call from the AHL to take his spot. There’s a bit of a catch here, however.
Smith returns to the NHL with a five-game suspension to serve thanks to his head shot on Chicago’s Ben Smith. The Smith-on-Smith crime was also going to be punished in the AHL for Brendan as he was going to miss the first three games of the Grand Rapids Griffins’ season. Now he’ll get to tick off the games on his Shanaban while Commodore is on the shelf.
As it was for Detroit, Jakub Kindl was getting the start on the blue line in Commodore’s stead and Smith gets to have a nice view of the Red Wings games from the press box. If Smith is still around after five games and Kindl struggles on the blue line, we could see Smith get a shot at playing. Here’s to hoping he can keep his shoulders and elbows in check should he get the chance to make his NHL debut soon.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)