Oct 8, 2011, 12:38 PM EST
Mike Commodore‘s season in Detroit is off to a bad start as the Commodore 64 (er… 22) is headed to injured reserve with a bruised MCL and could miss up to three weeks. In his place, Brendan Smith gets the call from the AHL to take his spot. There’s a bit of a catch here, however.
Smith returns to the NHL with a five-game suspension to serve thanks to his head shot on Chicago’s Ben Smith. The Smith-on-Smith crime was also going to be punished in the AHL for Brendan as he was going to miss the first three games of the Grand Rapids Griffins’ season. Now he’ll get to tick off the games on his Shanaban while Commodore is on the shelf.
As it was for Detroit, Jakub Kindl was getting the start on the blue line in Commodore’s stead and Smith gets to have a nice view of the Red Wings games from the press box. If Smith is still around after five games and Kindl struggles on the blue line, we could see Smith get a shot at playing. Here’s to hoping he can keep his shoulders and elbows in check should he get the chance to make his NHL debut soon.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 0
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 13
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)