Oct 8, 2011, 11:10 AM EDT
Marcus Johansson headed into this year with the Caps with hopes of being their breakout second center. Mathieu Perreault decided he didn’t like that and took the job from him in training camp as Perreault will start tonight against Carolina while Johansson appears set to be in the press box for the first game.
Johansson was deigned to be the #2 center in preseason by many observers and got a ton of time on the second line with Alex Semin and Troy Brouwer. Instead, Perreault worked his tail off in camp and exceeded expectations to show he belongs. That work was rewarded by Bruce Boudreau as he’ll be the guy centering Semin and Brouwer.
In case you’re wondering, Nicklas Backstrom centers Alex Ovechkin and Mike Knuble to absolutely no one’s surprise. Perreault getting the call over Johansson might not be a permanent move, but it shows that you’re not given anything in the NHL and you have to go and earn it when the time comes.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 6
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 56
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)