Oct 8, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT
Chris Campoli’s job to be the insurance for injured Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov is off to a bad start. Campoli will be out for months with a leg injury (Renaud Lavoie or RDS says it’s a hamstring) suffered in the Habs’ final preseason game. Campoli’s training camp after signing late with Montreal was a rough one as he also fell victim to a wicked hit from Tampa Bay’s Ryan Malone.
Campoli having to go out for the next couple months and with Markov’s recovery from knee surgery going slowly means bad news for the Canadiens. The Habs’ depth has already seen them take a hit after losing Jeff Woywitka through waivers to the Rangers.
Now it’ll be up to Yannick Weber to play strong on the back line and to stay healthy to keep Montreal from having to dig too deep into their farm system for help. Habs fans will once again go over the question about who they’d rather have dating back to the trade they made two summers ago with New York: Scott Gomez or Ryan McDonagh?
We can already hear the boos for that query coming from north of the border.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5