Oct 8, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT
Chris Campoli’s job to be the insurance for injured Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov is off to a bad start. Campoli will be out for months with a leg injury (Renaud Lavoie or RDS says it’s a hamstring) suffered in the Habs’ final preseason game. Campoli’s training camp after signing late with Montreal was a rough one as he also fell victim to a wicked hit from Tampa Bay’s Ryan Malone.
Campoli having to go out for the next couple months and with Markov’s recovery from knee surgery going slowly means bad news for the Canadiens. The Habs’ depth has already seen them take a hit after losing Jeff Woywitka through waivers to the Rangers.
Now it’ll be up to Yannick Weber to play strong on the back line and to stay healthy to keep Montreal from having to dig too deep into their farm system for help. Habs fans will once again go over the question about who they’d rather have dating back to the trade they made two summers ago with New York: Scott Gomez or Ryan McDonagh?
We can already hear the boos for that query coming from north of the border.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)