Oct 8, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
Being a captain in the NHL is a special designation that requires that player to be the face of the team and lead the way on and off the ice. Since the Florida Panthers are basically a brand new team after their offseason of madness, it shouldn’t be too much of a surprise that they’re going without a captain to start the year.
Instead of going with one team captain, they’re going with four guys wearing the alternate captain’s “A” on their sweater. Panthers lifer Stephen Weiss, one time former Panther Ed Jovanovski, and new Panthers Brian Campbell and Tomas Kopecky will all wear the “A” this season leading us to wonder… Kopecky?
All right so the Panthers’ makeover this summer basically meant something like this was going to happen. Stephen Weiss and David Booth being the two “faces” of the team weren’t able to do much for their cases for wearing the “C” but at the least, Weiss maintains his status. Coach Kevin Dineen doing things his way means he wants to see who out of that bunch steps up and takes control of the room. The smart money would be on Weiss or Jovanovski to be those guys.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)