Oct 8, 2011, 4:41 PM EST
Being a captain in the NHL is a special designation that requires that player to be the face of the team and lead the way on and off the ice. Since the Florida Panthers are basically a brand new team after their offseason of madness, it shouldn’t be too much of a surprise that they’re going without a captain to start the year.
Instead of going with one team captain, they’re going with four guys wearing the alternate captain’s “A” on their sweater. Panthers lifer Stephen Weiss, one time former Panther Ed Jovanovski, and new Panthers Brian Campbell and Tomas Kopecky will all wear the “A” this season leading us to wonder… Kopecky?
All right so the Panthers’ makeover this summer basically meant something like this was going to happen. Stephen Weiss and David Booth being the two “faces” of the team weren’t able to do much for their cases for wearing the “C” but at the least, Weiss maintains his status. Coach Kevin Dineen doing things his way means he wants to see who out of that bunch steps up and takes control of the room. The smart money would be on Weiss or Jovanovski to be those guys.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)