Oct 8, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
Being a captain in the NHL is a special designation that requires that player to be the face of the team and lead the way on and off the ice. Since the Florida Panthers are basically a brand new team after their offseason of madness, it shouldn’t be too much of a surprise that they’re going without a captain to start the year.
Instead of going with one team captain, they’re going with four guys wearing the alternate captain’s “A” on their sweater. Panthers lifer Stephen Weiss, one time former Panther Ed Jovanovski, and new Panthers Brian Campbell and Tomas Kopecky will all wear the “A” this season leading us to wonder… Kopecky?
All right so the Panthers’ makeover this summer basically meant something like this was going to happen. Stephen Weiss and David Booth being the two “faces” of the team weren’t able to do much for their cases for wearing the “C” but at the least, Weiss maintains his status. Coach Kevin Dineen doing things his way means he wants to see who out of that bunch steps up and takes control of the room. The smart money would be on Weiss or Jovanovski to be those guys.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17