Oct 8, 2011, 10:24 PM EST
Defense is expected to be a mighty issue for the Anaheim Ducks this season, so don’t blame GM Bob Murray for throwing out a few blind pinata swings. A late night move to acquire Kyle Cumiskey ranks as one of those swings.
The Colorado Avalanche recently placed Cumiskey on waivers, so the Ducks probably figured that he could be had at a cheap price. They were right; all it took was undrafted 22-year-old defenseman Jake Newton and a 2013 seventh rounder to get the deal done.
Cumiskey won’t set the world on fire, but he fits into some of the Ducks’ few strengths on defense. Like Lubomir Visnovsky and Cam Fowler, Cumiskey can skate very well. His career-high is just 20 points, but he could be a poor man’s Fowler, which is strange since he’s almost exactly five years older.
Considering how little the Ducks gave up, this is a low-risk medium-reward move. He might not always be pretty in his own end, but that will help him fit in with his new teammates.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 1
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 25
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)