Oct 8, 2011, 10:24 PM EST
Defense is expected to be a mighty issue for the Anaheim Ducks this season, so don’t blame GM Bob Murray for throwing out a few blind pinata swings. A late night move to acquire Kyle Cumiskey ranks as one of those swings.
The Colorado Avalanche recently placed Cumiskey on waivers, so the Ducks probably figured that he could be had at a cheap price. They were right; all it took was undrafted 22-year-old defenseman Jake Newton and a 2013 seventh rounder to get the deal done.
Cumiskey won’t set the world on fire, but he fits into some of the Ducks’ few strengths on defense. Like Lubomir Visnovsky and Cam Fowler, Cumiskey can skate very well. His career-high is just 20 points, but he could be a poor man’s Fowler, which is strange since he’s almost exactly five years older.
Considering how little the Ducks gave up, this is a low-risk medium-reward move. He might not always be pretty in his own end, but that will help him fit in with his new teammates.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 54
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (82)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)