Oct 8, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT
The Rangers finish their tour of Europe coming away with two points in two games but two disappointing finishes after losing 2-1 in a shootout to Anaheim. On the upside for New York, Brad Richards scored his first goal as a Ranger late in the third to tie the game up 1-1 as Jonas Hiller stood tall for the Ducks.
Richards’ goal wasn’t enough though as Bobby Ryan scored the only goal in the shootout to lift the Ducks to victory giving Anaheim a split of their games in Europe. The Ducks’ defense was able to bounce back after a tough showing against Buffalo yesterday that saw the Sabres whack them 4-1. Seeing the defense and Hiller in particular bounce back after a tough day was good for Anaheim to see. The Rangers won’t play again until next Saturday night against the rival Islanders. The Ducks will play next Friday at home against San Jose.
Lundqvist played brilliant in the loss for New York stopping 27 shots, but Bobby Ryan’s shootout winner was something he’d like to forget about.
Here’s some more analysis of the Ducks’ win against the Rangers:
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)