Oct 7, 2011, 5:32 PM EDT
Instead of being a cute preseason distraction, the Chicago Blackhawks plan on keeping Patrick Kane at center to start the season.
That’s the word from CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers, who revealed that Kane is starting to embrace his return to the pivot position. (Apparently Kane grew up playing at center in his younger days before evolving into one of best right wings in the NHL.)
Even Kane seemed reluctant to move to the middle, especially considering the challenges related to a wrist injury that troubled him this summer. It’s hard to imagine Kane winning many faceoffs and a jump in defensive responsibility doesn’t sound like the best idea, either.
Then again, there are appealing perks: it should help him get the puck more often and also accounts for Dave Bolland’s injury. Oh yeah, it also allows the Blackhawks to roll out two one-two punches that will make defenses weep: Kane-Marian Hossa and Jonathan Toews-Patrick Sharp.
It’s a flawed but potentially productive idea in theory, but we’ll begin to really test Joel Quenneville’s hypothesis during the team’s season opener against the Dallas Stars tonight.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)