Oct 7, 2011, 3:11 PM EST
Rejoice Edmonton Oilers fans: your defense has a chance to go from horrible to semi-putrid.
Jim Matheson reports that Ryan Whitney could return for the Oilers’ season opener on Sunday, although Ladislav Smid is likely to be sidelined. They didn’t guarantee that he’ll be back, mind you, but it seems like he’ll return in the near future.
It’s unclear when exactly Whitney transformed from a cleft-chinned turnover machine to a defensive savor, but when you look at the Oilers’ defense, their urge to see him back makes some sense. (That’s especially true if they compare Whitney to Cam Barker.)
If nothing else, the Oilers missed his puck-moving ability and scoring skills since he was sidelined with a “freaky” ankle injury in December 2010. The Oilers are expected to work him back into the lineup slowly since he couldn’t even play a preseason game this summer. Eventually, they expect him to return to playing big minutes again, though.
Edmonton’s game plan will likely revolve around scoring and allowing a lot of goals, so a healthy Whitney ranks as a logical fit. We’ll keep an eye open for updates about his status.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)