Oct 7, 2011, 12:14 PM EDT
Here’s a dispatch from the Department of Expected Overreactions (OK, it’s actually from CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley): the Washington Capitals will start Michal Neuvirth instead of Tomas Vokoun during their first game of the season against the Carolina Hurricanes on Oct 8.
Considering the very reasonable Vezina Trophy hype for Vokoun, this news might startle many people. Let’s calm that down right now with the same banter you should use after every season-opener: it’s just one game. My expectation is that Vokoun will make 55+ starts in 2011-12 and be an excellent contributor, while Neuvirth should get a healthy number of relief opportunities.
The word is that Neuvirth had a really good training camp and will get a reward for his hard work. Head coach Bruce Boudreau is justified in giving his former starter a nice treat since Neuvirth might not be extremely happy about getting usurped. Boudreau was coy about his decision, though.
Feel free to over-analyze that statement if you’d like, but again, I would expect Vokoun to be the number one goalie in Washington. Perhaps this indicates that it will be more of a “timeshare” situation than some expected, but it’s better to have two strong options in net than none.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)