Oct 7, 2011, 4:58 PM EDT
Some Los Angeles Kings fans believe that they acquired the wrong Richards this summer, but Mike’s team beat Brad’s in the first of their two meetings for 2011-12.
The New York Rangers managed to stay in the game 1-1 after a brutal defensive effort in the first period. Going further, it looked like they had a chance to hook the tights and steal one from the Kings when Brad Richards did some dirty work to set up Marian Gaborik‘s 2-1 goal. Mike Richards ultimately came through in the end, though, as he scored the game-tying goal and then earned the primary assist on Jack Johnson‘s overtime-winner.
As expected, the Rangers really miss Marc Staal on defense. Henrik Lundqvist made 27 saves and bailed his team out repeatedly, while Ryan Callahan scored a captain’s goal on some unusually bad work by Jonathan Quick. Head coach John Tortorella hit his quota for stunned looks, but deep down, he should feel happy that his team even scraped out a point.
Much like the Ducks’ one-game worries, the Rangers can at least take solace in the fact that they lost to a strong team. The talent deficit seemed most obvious in the first goal of the game, when Justin Williams sent a gorgeous saucer pass to Anze Kopitar, who showed off his world-class release.
Hey, at least the Rangers only have to deal with that one more time this season.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)