Oct 7, 2011, 8:00 AM EST
Technically, you could probably say that fans engage in “Twitter battles” during every game of the season. In fact, people who hold a rival team in particular distaste rarely let the league’s schedule makers determine when they’ll launch their insults. Sometimes the results are charming and amusing; other times it gets ugly or downright creepy. Then again, that’s the danger and delight of the Internet: it opens up all kinds of avenues – not all of them are good, though.
Hopefully the Los Angeles Kings and New York Rangers will bring out the best in their fan bases this afternoon, though. The two squads are encouraging fans to participate in a “hashtag” battle on Twitter, while at least one of the teams will make sure that a local charity is the biggest winner. Here’s a quick rundown of the setup, via the Kings:
- Fans can enter a tweet that includes one of two hashtags: #GoLAKings or #GoNYRangers.
- Fans who use the #GoLAKings tag will be entered in a drawing to win a free round trip ticket via Delta Airlines. (Delta will fly anyone to one of their destinations in the United States or Canada.)
- The Kings will donate $1,000 for every 5,000 tweets to the Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles.
It’s unclear what the Rangers are doing for fans who go in their direction, but it’s likely that charitable organizations would benefit from their side as well. (Feel free to share the Rangers’ plans in the comments.)
In the spirit of the situation, it would be ideal if fans kept their tweets clean. Example: avoid controversial subjects like the two franchises’ battle to land Brad Richards and stick to common ground issues, such as communal mockery of Sean Avery.
Anyway, it’s a great way for the two teams to promote a game that will take place at unusual time for casual fans while also generating charitable donations. Much like the Washington Capitals teaming up with the Pittsburgh Penguins to benefit the families of the Lokomotiv victims, it’s fantastic to see “opposing forces” come together for great causes.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)