Oct 7, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
Technically, you could probably say that fans engage in “Twitter battles” during every game of the season. In fact, people who hold a rival team in particular distaste rarely let the league’s schedule makers determine when they’ll launch their insults. Sometimes the results are charming and amusing; other times it gets ugly or downright creepy. Then again, that’s the danger and delight of the Internet: it opens up all kinds of avenues – not all of them are good, though.
Hopefully the Los Angeles Kings and New York Rangers will bring out the best in their fan bases this afternoon, though. The two squads are encouraging fans to participate in a “hashtag” battle on Twitter, while at least one of the teams will make sure that a local charity is the biggest winner. Here’s a quick rundown of the setup, via the Kings:
- Fans can enter a tweet that includes one of two hashtags: #GoLAKings or #GoNYRangers.
- Fans who use the #GoLAKings tag will be entered in a drawing to win a free round trip ticket via Delta Airlines. (Delta will fly anyone to one of their destinations in the United States or Canada.)
- The Kings will donate $1,000 for every 5,000 tweets to the Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles.
It’s unclear what the Rangers are doing for fans who go in their direction, but it’s likely that charitable organizations would benefit from their side as well. (Feel free to share the Rangers’ plans in the comments.)
In the spirit of the situation, it would be ideal if fans kept their tweets clean. Example: avoid controversial subjects like the two franchises’ battle to land Brad Richards and stick to common ground issues, such as communal mockery of Sean Avery.
Anyway, it’s a great way for the two teams to promote a game that will take place at unusual time for casual fans while also generating charitable donations. Much like the Washington Capitals teaming up with the Pittsburgh Penguins to benefit the families of the Lokomotiv victims, it’s fantastic to see “opposing forces” come together for great causes.
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 23
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 111
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79