Oct 6, 2011, 11:54 PM EST
Hits to the head were a hot topic in hockey well before Sidney Crosby suffered from checks on consecutive nights (one from David Steckel, the next via Victor Hedman). You only need to turn to Crosby’s teammate Matt Cooke, who landed that controversial hit on Marc Savard, permanently altering the course of the talented passer’s career.
No doubt about it, the story went from a building concern to a locomotive once Crosby sat out half of the 2010-11 season after starting off hotter than ever, though. It’s hard not to think about what could have been tonight, as the Penguins take on the 2011 Stanley Cup finalist Vancouver Canucks. (Currently in progress.)
While his return date is still in the air, it seems like Crosby is making progress. The NHL is already attempting to improve the way it legislates questionable hits, including enforcing head shots in a more straightforward way. Still, it’s interesting to hear Crosby’s take on the situation.
Check out this video for Crosby’s thoughts on how the league can improve its procedures regarding questionable hits, as well as insight regarding his rehabilitation.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)