Oct 6, 2011, 11:05 PM EDT
Let there be little doubt that Ilya Bryzgalov would like to have the Boston Bruins’ only goal back. Sure, Brad Marchand made a tricky move to beat him on the power play, but the location of that shot indicates that Breezy (arguably) should have had it. (See the bottom of this post for the goal if you don’t feel like clicking the link.)
Considering the rapidly decreasing margin between an average goalie and an exemplary one, it might be reasonable to speculate that it’s crucial for a franchise netminder to bounce back from a rough goal. Bryzgalov could have gotten in his own head after that Marchand tally (some didn’t really like his initial reaction, for one thing), but he shook it off and didn’t allow another tally for the rest of the night.
Breezy wasn’t called upon a ton – he made 22 out of 23 saves, half of them coming in the third period – but one of those stops ranks as possibly the best glove save of the night. Bryzgalov stood strong in some tough moments, even if the Bruins’ efforts tapered off a bit during certain stretches. The following video gives a great example of Bryzgalov and Kimmo Timonen fighting hard to maintain the Flyers’ 2-1 lead (which eventually turned into a 2-1 win).
Sometimes it’s about hitting the sweet spot between skill and luck.
There’s reason to wonder if the Flyers will be a better team after their dramatic makeover, but judging by his resume of work, Bryzgalov is the best Philly netminder in a long time. He’ll face bigger tests in the future, but he came through in Game 1.
Here are more highlights from the Flyers’ 2-1 win in Boston.
May 19, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
Doesn’t sound appetizing.
May 19, 2013, 12:12 AM EDT
Logan Couture goes from injured to game-winner.
May 18, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
His Halifax Mooseheads topped Seth Jones’ Portland Winterhawks.
May 18, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
May 18, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
At least Scott Hannan’s OK?
May 18, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
These moments hurt in games with small margins of error.
May 18, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
After falling to it in Game 2.
May 18, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
Matt Greene isn’t playing in Game 3, either.
May 18, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
Dennis Seidenberg likely out, Wade Redden’s a game-time decision.
May 18, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
His club’s down 0-2 to the Kings…
May 18, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Their critical press release fund must be dry.
May 18, 2013, 6:01 PM EDT
Is that “grossly unfair,” too?
May 18, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
The captain cares not for the rough stuff.
May 18, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
Flying through the air going five-hole? Yes.
May 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s their first finals appearance since 1935.
May 18, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
The comments are now open.
May 18, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Lineup shuffles are on the way.
May 18, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
It’s his call whether to go or not.
May 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
On-ice chatter at its best.
May 18, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
He missed 12 games with a broken thumb.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 2
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 10
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 41
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 25
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal