Oct 6, 2011, 9:16 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins started their first regular season game with a bang, as Brad Marchand scored the NHL’s first goal of 2011-12 by beating Ilya Bryzgalov (see this post’s final video). For some fans, the Bruins’ first game of the season is just icing on the cake after seeing their team celebrate their 2011 Stanley Cup victory one last time. Maybe losing to the Philadelphia Flyers 2-1 will sting for a while, but it was still a fantastic night for fans of the B’s.
The team honored a wide array of figures during the ceremony, which encouraged plenty of amusing comments on Twitter. As fun as it is to inject snark into the occasion, it’s tough to blame the Bruins for milking the moment for what it’s worth after waiting 39 years to raise the Cup once again.
Check out this video of the 2011 Stanley Cup banner-raising ceremony.
One of the standout moments of that presentation was the tribute made to Mark Recchi’s career. The recently retired winger suited up one last time and appeared on the ice with his teammates for the ceremony.
Finally, here is Marchand’s goal. In an interesting quirk, Marchand scored the last goal of 2010-11 and the first of 2011-12.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 7
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 22
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 16
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)