Oct 6, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Minnesota’s Eric Nystrom has had a difficult preseason. While he’s been fighting for a job to stick with the Wild, he had the unfortunate luck to be involved in an icing race with Edmonton’s Taylor Fedun that saw Fedun fall into the end boards breaking his leg. Nystrom dealt with the verbal slings and arrows stemming from that incident on his Twitter account and came through it all looking like a gentleman and as a guy very upset about seeing his fellow man get hurt so badly.
Things got a bit more trying for Nystrom today as the Wild have placed the 28 year-old forward on waivers. Nystrom comes with a cap hit of $1.4 million per year over the next two seasons. Should he clear waivers he’ll end up in Houston in the AHL. Nystrom has apparently been beaten out for a job by the likes of Colton Gillies and Nick Johnson.
We all feel for Nystrom because what happened to Fedun was more of a freak accident than anything else and a guy taking heat over that is just wrong. Getting essentially cut by your team on top of that seems unfair and most of us can identify with a guy who is being kicked when he’s down. Here’s to hoping Nystrom can land a NHL job elsewhere or find his way back up with the Wild.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)