Oct 6, 2011, 11:34 AM EST
Minnesota’s Eric Nystrom has had a difficult preseason. While he’s been fighting for a job to stick with the Wild, he had the unfortunate luck to be involved in an icing race with Edmonton’s Taylor Fedun that saw Fedun fall into the end boards breaking his leg. Nystrom dealt with the verbal slings and arrows stemming from that incident on his Twitter account and came through it all looking like a gentleman and as a guy very upset about seeing his fellow man get hurt so badly.
Things got a bit more trying for Nystrom today as the Wild have placed the 28 year-old forward on waivers. Nystrom comes with a cap hit of $1.4 million per year over the next two seasons. Should he clear waivers he’ll end up in Houston in the AHL. Nystrom has apparently been beaten out for a job by the likes of Colton Gillies and Nick Johnson.
We all feel for Nystrom because what happened to Fedun was more of a freak accident than anything else and a guy taking heat over that is just wrong. Getting essentially cut by your team on top of that seems unfair and most of us can identify with a guy who is being kicked when he’s down. Here’s to hoping Nystrom can land a NHL job elsewhere or find his way back up with the Wild.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 7
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 15
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)