Oct 6, 2011, 11:34 AM EST
Minnesota’s Eric Nystrom has had a difficult preseason. While he’s been fighting for a job to stick with the Wild, he had the unfortunate luck to be involved in an icing race with Edmonton’s Taylor Fedun that saw Fedun fall into the end boards breaking his leg. Nystrom dealt with the verbal slings and arrows stemming from that incident on his Twitter account and came through it all looking like a gentleman and as a guy very upset about seeing his fellow man get hurt so badly.
Things got a bit more trying for Nystrom today as the Wild have placed the 28 year-old forward on waivers. Nystrom comes with a cap hit of $1.4 million per year over the next two seasons. Should he clear waivers he’ll end up in Houston in the AHL. Nystrom has apparently been beaten out for a job by the likes of Colton Gillies and Nick Johnson.
We all feel for Nystrom because what happened to Fedun was more of a freak accident than anything else and a guy taking heat over that is just wrong. Getting essentially cut by your team on top of that seems unfair and most of us can identify with a guy who is being kicked when he’s down. Here’s to hoping Nystrom can land a NHL job elsewhere or find his way back up with the Wild.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)