Oct 6, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Minnesota’s Eric Nystrom has had a difficult preseason. While he’s been fighting for a job to stick with the Wild, he had the unfortunate luck to be involved in an icing race with Edmonton’s Taylor Fedun that saw Fedun fall into the end boards breaking his leg. Nystrom dealt with the verbal slings and arrows stemming from that incident on his Twitter account and came through it all looking like a gentleman and as a guy very upset about seeing his fellow man get hurt so badly.
Things got a bit more trying for Nystrom today as the Wild have placed the 28 year-old forward on waivers. Nystrom comes with a cap hit of $1.4 million per year over the next two seasons. Should he clear waivers he’ll end up in Houston in the AHL. Nystrom has apparently been beaten out for a job by the likes of Colton Gillies and Nick Johnson.
We all feel for Nystrom because what happened to Fedun was more of a freak accident than anything else and a guy taking heat over that is just wrong. Getting essentially cut by your team on top of that seems unfair and most of us can identify with a guy who is being kicked when he’s down. Here’s to hoping Nystrom can land a NHL job elsewhere or find his way back up with the Wild.
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 44
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)