Oct 5, 2011, 10:52 AM EST
NHL player safety guru and disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan has more than done his part to show off how he’s going to be erring on the side of caution and punishing bad hits with stiff suspensions.
While the suspensions have been rough in some cases and some fans are worrying that the physicality of the game is going to be taken away, Shanahan shows off today how that’s both not the case and how players are learning quickly how to not play like fools. Shanahan released a video today showing off how players are making sure to not blast a player from behind when they’re prone as well as some of the great, legal hits through the preseason.
Even more amazing is the fact that a pair of tough guys in Islanders forward Trevor Gillies and Philadelphia forward Zac Rinaldo show you the right way to deliver a hit. Don’t get too huffy about that Isles and Flyers fans, Kris Letang is a veritable superstar in this one showing the right way to play hockey both ways.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (118)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)