Oct 5, 2011, 10:52 AM EDT
NHL player safety guru and disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan has more than done his part to show off how he’s going to be erring on the side of caution and punishing bad hits with stiff suspensions.
While the suspensions have been rough in some cases and some fans are worrying that the physicality of the game is going to be taken away, Shanahan shows off today how that’s both not the case and how players are learning quickly how to not play like fools. Shanahan released a video today showing off how players are making sure to not blast a player from behind when they’re prone as well as some of the great, legal hits through the preseason.
Even more amazing is the fact that a pair of tough guys in Islanders forward Trevor Gillies and Philadelphia forward Zac Rinaldo show you the right way to deliver a hit. Don’t get too huffy about that Isles and Flyers fans, Kris Letang is a veritable superstar in this one showing the right way to play hockey both ways.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)