Oct 5, 2011, 10:52 AM EDT
NHL player safety guru and disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan has more than done his part to show off how he’s going to be erring on the side of caution and punishing bad hits with stiff suspensions.
While the suspensions have been rough in some cases and some fans are worrying that the physicality of the game is going to be taken away, Shanahan shows off today how that’s both not the case and how players are learning quickly how to not play like fools. Shanahan released a video today showing off how players are making sure to not blast a player from behind when they’re prone as well as some of the great, legal hits through the preseason.
Even more amazing is the fact that a pair of tough guys in Islanders forward Trevor Gillies and Philadelphia forward Zac Rinaldo show you the right way to deliver a hit. Don’t get too huffy about that Isles and Flyers fans, Kris Letang is a veritable superstar in this one showing the right way to play hockey both ways.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 8
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 28
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)