Oct 5, 2011, 11:18 AM EST
This season in New Jersey is going to feel like old times for a lot of Devils fans. Petr Sykora, who had been in camp on a tryout, was signed to a one-year deal to officially rejoin the Devils. The deal is worth $650,000 and for the Devils, they get to keep an experienced goal scorer around this year for a team that is looking to get back to the playoffs.
Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger has the excited words from Sykora about landing back in New Jersey where he won his first Stanley Cup.
“I’m ecstatic,” Sykora told The Star-Ledger. “Of course I’m very happy. It’s something that seemed very far away a couple of weeks ago and it happened.”
Making the moment for Sykora even cooler and showing how much his Devils teammates appreciate his efforts in getting back to the NHL after a year away, Tom Gulitti tweets the scene in Newark when he hit the ice for practice.
You want a feel-good story to follow this year? Sykora’s comeback to the NHL at 34 years-old after being tossed aside in Minnesota two years ago and having to play in the KHL and Czech league last year is about as good as it gets. Sykora getting to do it all again with the team he started his NHL career with makes it even sweeter for him and helps give the story more of a Hollywood twist.
Perhaps Sykora can help make it even more storybook by helping be a key part of the team and leading them deep into the playoffs. For now, we’ll enjoy the story for what it is in seeing a guy get to go home once again.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 9
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)