Oct 5, 2011, 11:18 AM EDT
This season in New Jersey is going to feel like old times for a lot of Devils fans. Petr Sykora, who had been in camp on a tryout, was signed to a one-year deal to officially rejoin the Devils. The deal is worth $650,000 and for the Devils, they get to keep an experienced goal scorer around this year for a team that is looking to get back to the playoffs.
Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger has the excited words from Sykora about landing back in New Jersey where he won his first Stanley Cup.
“I’m ecstatic,” Sykora told The Star-Ledger. “Of course I’m very happy. It’s something that seemed very far away a couple of weeks ago and it happened.”
Making the moment for Sykora even cooler and showing how much his Devils teammates appreciate his efforts in getting back to the NHL after a year away, Tom Gulitti tweets the scene in Newark when he hit the ice for practice.
You want a feel-good story to follow this year? Sykora’s comeback to the NHL at 34 years-old after being tossed aside in Minnesota two years ago and having to play in the KHL and Czech league last year is about as good as it gets. Sykora getting to do it all again with the team he started his NHL career with makes it even sweeter for him and helps give the story more of a Hollywood twist.
Perhaps Sykora can help make it even more storybook by helping be a key part of the team and leading them deep into the playoffs. For now, we’ll enjoy the story for what it is in seeing a guy get to go home once again.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 5
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 10
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 8
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)