Oct 5, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
Chicago’s Brandon Saad has had a training camp to remember in Chicago. We’ve talked about him a lot here and about how he’s the 2011 second round pick is making the most of his opportunity to break through with the Blackhawks. Now he’s got a contract after signing his three-year, entry-level deal with Chicago.
Well that shouldn’t be nerve-racking at all for the 18 year-old fresh out of junior hockey. For what it’s worth, everyone in Chicago is talking big about him, including GM Stan Bowman, as CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers shares.
“The competition has gone up each time and he’s responded to the challenge. He’s earned a spot,” Bowman said in announcing Saad’s deal. “He’s excited to go and that’s a good story for us. We put him in a position to succeed and he seized it.”
Saad has earned a huge opportunity thanks to both his play and injuries for Chicago in camp. Viktor Stalberg was originally slated to be the guy to play alongside Toews and Sharp, but with Stalberg battling back from an injury in camp, the job is Saad’s to make sure Chicago gets off to a solid start.
Whether Saad gets more than the nine game audition will be up to the Blackhawks, but for now it’s all on him to make it so that it’s impossible for Chicago to send him back to Saginaw in the OHL or not. He’s getting a huge stage to start off on and when the Hawks open against the Dallas Stars on Friday night, all eyes will be on him to see how he embraces life in the pros as the guy with first round talent that everyone passed on in the draft.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)